GO!

pink lump under chin...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 2:20pm PST 
ok. so for the longest time (months) I thought this thing under Layla's chin was just a thickened scar from boo or an infection from getting that little whisker pulled out, but she actually let me really look at it today and thats not what it is.

Here is a picture: Layla's not so lovely lady chin lump

What is it? I don't know. Layla goes to the vet in two weeks for vaccines, so I will have them check then.

I have starting to worry though because Boxers are prone to cancer. Could this be cancer?

It is a pink lump the size of my pointer finger (tip of it) and is raised. there is hair only growing through the outside edges.

oh someone please give me somethingshrug Thanks

ETA: Layla is two as of January, spayed before her first heat, been vaccinated and healthy and doesn't like it when I touch the lump.

Edited by author Sun Apr 5, '09 3:39pm PST

[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 3:10pm PST 
Dont you just hate finding bumps?

One thing that I thought of is folliculitis. My pugs both get this. They get what almost looks like a pimple and the hair will fall out around it. They get them on their chins and muzzle.

Things that you can do to minimize this: Use stainless steel or ceramic bowls that you wash between every meal.

Wipe the face down after meals.

Our vet prescribed Malaseb pledgets, which is a fancy word for wipe. I have a bunch on hand but let me tell you that they stink and you can't let the dog lick their face after it is applied. My dogs hate them. I haven't noticed any difference when using them.

Sunny gets the little pimples that fill with pus and has been on antibiotics for the infection.

Winnie also has a little pink lump on her cheek. It is a just a pappiloma (may not be spelled right). It looks like a pink wart. We just let it be, it doesn't need any treatment.

Hopefully you find out soon what it is!
Good luck.
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 3:16pm PST 
Thanks Bo, I don't think this is one of those pimple-like things. Layla has had one of those before on her jowels (i popped itred face) hehe. but this is kind of hard and she usually lets me do whatever I want to her, but she doesn't like when I touch it, and it doesn't ooze.

Oh I hope it isn't anything bad.
[notify]

Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 4:32pm PST 
I just read Gunner's thread about Mast cell tumors.

Should I get Layla in this week instead of waiting until next week?

I don't want to go for two seperate visits just to look at the lump then go back to get her vaccines. can she go a week early for her vaccines?

Now I am really scared. she is such a sweet dog and would never really show discomfort. I am freaking my self out.

Look at the picture of the lump and give me some advice before I go insane.
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 5:05pm PST 
Its hard to tell with how blurred it shows on this monitor... but it does look like the mass cell we had removed on Brigid's ear. So you will want to get it looked at just to be sure. Looks like it might be small enough to remove easily if its a growth of any kind and not a doggie zit
[notify]
Sammy- ♥ - KABX

Got Balls?

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 5:06pm PST 
That lump/bump looks like one that Sammy had on his face not too long ago. I was convinced it was lymphoma or a mast cell tumor, as he also gets those pimple like bumps sometimes but this was bigger, and harder, and lower on his chin then the bumps usually are.

I took him to the vet, and...it was nothingbig grin Just folliculitis again. I have this stuff called pyoderm that I put on his pimple bumps, it's sort of like clearasil for dogs, BOL!

I think you are fine with your original appointment, I hope it's nothing, but if it is, a week won't make that much difference. I know it's hard not to freak out. You could always call the vet and see what they say???

Edited by author Sun Apr 5, '09 5:10pm PST

[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Sun Apr 5, '09 5:11pm PST 
yeah, our dogs have gotten pimples before, but this is much bigger and harder.

I haven't made the appointment yet, so I was wondering if I should make it for this week or next.

I just always think of the worst case possible. I can't help it. bah

I just don't like that she is sensitive about it. This dog seriously let me sit in front of her and pop a pimple on her jowl. (without flinching)
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 7:26am PST 
This week.
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 7:45am PST 
Go in this week.

It really looks like Winnie's papilloma. Her's is hard and I wish I could get a picture of it for you. It is in her face wrinkle and is pink and hard.

Bailey's MCT was actually under the skin and almost looked like a bug bite. I haven't seen a MCT of the face so I can't offer any advice about what it would look like. Her tumor was also soft so they could remove fluid from it.

Hopefully it is nothing major. If it is a papilloma I wouldn't rush to have it removed unless your vet recommends it. Apparently papillomas can spread once removed.

If it were me I would go in this week for peace of mind. Good luck.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Mon Apr 6, '09 7:45am PST 
Agreed. Doing vaccines a week early will not be detrimental either.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2