January 4th QOTD...

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Riley

Moms girl...

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 3:11am PST 
Today's question is this....has anyone ever had a dog that got seizures?? If so what did you do if anything?? Mom has never experienced this and well any advice or support would be greatly appreciated... hug
Riley

Moms girl...

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 3:14am PST 
Well we got a call from the emergency vets office about an hour after we got home. This is what we know...Well his blood work came back and it is not his liver or kidney's that is causing this. So that means it is the brain...meaning it could be a tumor or epilepsy...which is rare for a dog to develop once they are over 6 years old. He would have to have a MRI or Cat scan to determine the true cause. If he has more than one seizure a day or one lasting 5 min or more he would have to be put on anit-seizure medication. That being said they do not do that until one of these things happen because the medication for it has horrible side effects. One being that it attacks the liver...cry
buster

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 7:13am PST 
i dont know any .thats a good thing.

ameirca

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 7:14am PST 
me dont know of any that we know .
Coco

Rub my belly- paw-leeeeze

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 8:54am PST 
No, Melani, I've never parented a dog who had seizures and I don't know anyone who has ever parented a dog who had seizures.

I'm sure you and/or Dennis have searched the internet for more information, but just in case, here are a few websites that might help answer some of your questions:
- http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2105&aid=433
- http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/epilepsy.html
- http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/

Please know that my prayers are with all of you.

- Carla
Riley

Moms girl...

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 10:16am PST 
Carla thank you...I just checked out all three sites...from what I read Lucas had this and when we described to the vet what had happen she said she thought as much as well...

A typical Grand Mal seizure may look like this: The dog will seem perfectly normal when, without warning, it begins to stagger just a bit when walking. Then it may appear to be backing up, will sit down on the hind legs and the facial muscles and eyelids will begin to spasm. (This is termed “muscle fasciculation”). Often the jaw muscles will spasm and the dog will appear to be “chattering his teeth” and will begin to salivate. Breathing will become forced and if the jaw is set in a closed position the forced breathing will stimulate the saliva to foam up. Now the dog appears to be “foaming at the mouth.”

Thorough information gathering aids diagnosing EPILEPSY.On other occasions the jaw will be held involuntarily in an open position and appears as if the dog is trying to yawn… or even as if to scream out and no voice is heard. This truly can be an unpleasant and scary experience for the dog and the owner! As the event continues the dog may fall over on its side, and stretch out with legs and neck extended, eyes rolled back, mouth foaming and the entire body going into a rigid state. Now it appears that the dog cannot breathe because of the intense muscle contractions and stiff posture.

After a few seconds (surely seems like minutes!) the dog begins to relax, the breathing returns to normal and voluntary movement becomes more evident. Here’s an interesting phenomenon: If the breathing is so interrupted that the dog begins to lose consciousness, the oxygen deprivation to the brain shuts off the seizure! So just when you think your dog is dying the seizure stops! Anyone watching the event returns to more normal breathing, too! After a few moments the dog will sit up, begin to “shake it off” and go back to normal activities as if to say “What was the deal with THAT?”

I read this description and felt like it was happening all over again...This is just what we saw when we walked through the garage door yesterday...it was so scary I doubt I will ever forget the sight of it...Dennis told the our Vet he thought Lucas was dying in his arms...I will tell you I thought the same..I though my God my baby is dying hug

He is acting perfectly normal today...even chasing Riley around as if nothing happenedhug
Spike In- Loving- Memory

LIFE IS- GOOD!

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 12:11pm PST 
Spike had an episode in some ways similar. He sometimes makes smarfing noises I call them from when his trachea collapses. He will get kind of rigid as he struggles to get air but it won't last very long and then he is fine.

One day a couple of summers ago I heard him making that sound and then he came scurrying into the kitchen toward the door wanting out but he was taking weird choppy steps and walking like on his toes. His body was jerky and rigid and he was still struggling to breath. I let him out and he kind of half ran half staggered around the yard jerking and wobbling around. My thought then was strychnine poisoning because he didn't seem to be able to control his movements. I called the vet and he wasn't there. When I went back out Spike was better. He was still a little stiff but was breathing ok and he came back inside and was ok after that. I then thought about a seizure because I knew they can sometimes take different forms. It never happened again and I don't know if it was a seizure but that's what I finally concluded. I just watched and waited to see if he would have another but he never has.
Coco

Rub my belly- paw-leeeeze

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 12:18pm PST 
Oh my goodness, Melani!!! I can't even imagine what I would do if I witnessed Coco going through that. I freaked and really lost it when she had her first reverse sneeze in my presence! So, where do you guys go from here? Do you have to wait until Lucas has his MRI and/or CT scan or did the vet prescribe something in the meatime?
♥- Brutus- ♥

Born to Play

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 1:03pm PST 
Mel I hope Lucas had a comfortable night. I personally do not know alot about seizures either but I will be trying to look for good sites as well. I feel so bad because I can only imagine how scary that must of been for everyone especially Lucas. Is the doctor pushing for a catscan or MRI. I mean even with them being done will it do anything towards helping Lucas get better? I'm just saying that because would the treatment be any different regardless if epilepsy or a brain problem would be causing this. I do not know what the cost is for the test but I imagine they are going to be expensive. I would ask the doctors opinion. If the treatment would be the same then you may want to use your finances to treat it rather than to try and pinpoint what's causing it. I hope this is coming out right. I am only suggesting this if like I said treat ment would be the same regardless. There's nothing I wouldn't do for my animals. My oldest GS had open heart surgery at a year old. Everyone including the breeder thought I was nuts for doing it but it was worth every penny. Please let us know how Lucas is going!
Riley

Moms girl...

Barked: Sun Jan 4, '09 1:54pm PST 
Hi guys...Lucas had another seizure this afternoon.
Last evening when the emergency vets office got his blood work back they indicated it was not his liver or Kidney's all was well with those organs. So that means it is his brain...The office told my husband with Lucas's size and weight and age it would be up to us how we proceed. Dennis asked the doctor outright what his thoughts were...he told him he has patience who can not bare to let go and will prolong an animals life no matter the cost to the wallet or quality of life to the pet. Dennis said his only concern was Lucas's comfort and quality of life. He then said well then this is what I would do...If Lucas has more than one seizure a day or one lasting more than 5 minutes in length we should put him on anti-siezure medication. Only under those circumstances because of the side effects of these drugs and Lucas being up there in age. Lucas because of his size is considered geriatric...meaning not just an old dog but a very old dog. He is tall for a golden and 90 pounds basically the vet told Dennis look he is old and stuff is going to start happening. Obviously he was a bit kinder with his terminology ...but I am just so tired and distraught so forgive me. Back to the point sorry about the babble the vet did not think the money would be well spent on a MRI or Cat scan...If he was younger options and opinions would be different. Lucas has been an angel his whole life and all I want is for him to be as healthy as possible and comfortable...after talking to Dennis we have decided together that we will not be putting Lucas through any tests..poking or prodding..we will take the seizures as they come and use medication if and when it becomes necessary. Right now his is sleeping next to me as if he has not a care in the world and nothing amiss has happened... cloud 9
I do know Lucas has his very own angel looking out for him and God forbid the worst happens she will be the first face he seescloud 9
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2