Do Schnauzers Need Winter Jackets?

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lexie

All bark, but no- bite

Barked: Thu Aug 30, '07 9:55am PST 
My brother and I live in the upper Midwest and winters do get cold and snowy. Mom is thinking of buying us winter "parkas," but I'm not sure we really need them. I think Mom just wants to do some online shopping, but then again - it really does get cold here. I should add that my own natural coat is rather thick and wiry, though not long, and my brother's coat is the other schnauzer type, rather soft, thinner and silkier. I've been pretty much okay the six winters I've already spent with my family, but I didn't go outside and take walks much or anything in winter. Now that we have a one-year old boy, he needs two walks a day or he goes crazy, so I walk, too. So maybe I would appreciate a warm winter coat if I'll be walking more outside in really cold weather. Any thoughts on this? Our mom is itching to shop, but doesn't want to do something unnecessary.
Georgie

Where's the- squirrel?

Barked: Fri Aug 31, '07 7:25am PST 
I don't know because we live in sunny California with no snow. But I see a lot of schnauzers using winter coats in the snow. If you look at some of the photos in one of the schnauzer groups, maybe you could contact one of the others. I think in some places people even use boots.
Greta Grace

Arrrooo!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '07 6:20pm PST 
I live in southeast GA, and I'm getting a sweater for the winter. Some mornings can be quite cold, especially before the car heater gets warm. Our winters are only like a month long, but I sure hate shivering! way to go

Jennifer- (1990 - 2007)

Forever Loved

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '07 7:14pm PST 
I lived in Manitoba, Canada for 16 years and it gets very cold there. I was usually fine to go outside for a quick potty break and run back in without a coat. I did appreciate a coat if it was for a longer time. If I went walking in the extreme cold I would wear my coat. When it was really cold I also liked my booties. The booties protected my feet from the cold and the salt on the street. way to go
Oliver

Rabbits,- rabbits!!!

Barked: Thu Sep 13, '07 3:35pm PST 
We live on the coast of Nova Scotia and It can get pretty cold here. I have rather thin wispy fur so I wear a blanket type coat when I go out for our morning walks on the beach in the winter. My mom also puts it on me when we go out to shovel or just play in the snow. I like it better than my old sweater because I don't have to put my fronts paws in it. It just wraps around. Check out my pictures and see what you think.
Woofs, Oliver
Wrigley

Beards Rule!

Barked: Sat Sep 15, '07 3:28pm PST 
I absolutely refuse to walk or even stand up if Mum puts a coat on me. She's tried all sorts of coats. I actually prefer the cold. I refuse to go outside if it's too warm (although that doesn't happen very often in the UK)

Wrigley Roo
xxx
Frankie

Pet me....Now...

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '07 11:06am PST 
I think it really depends on an often overlook factor.....how wet do you get and can your parents keep your dry?

Meaning, we schnauzies, because of our natural coats tend to be susceptible to yeast infections if we don't keep dry. If it's cold outside, due to snow and rain, make sure your parents dry you off completely when you get home. Too much moisture in our furnishing and beards can spell trouble in the long run.

Sometimes, I wear a little polo shirt. Sure, it bugs me at first, but once daddy breaks out the treats, I usually forget about it after 5 minutes or so.
Duke

Mr. Personality- Plus

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '07 6:02pm PST 
confusedconfused Once I get the coat on I start running around and then get on my back and try to rub it off. When we walk outside my nose takes over and the wonderful smells of the lawn makes me forget about the coat thingysnoopysnoopysnoopy
Rudy

let\\\\\\\'s- play!

Barked: Fri Oct 12, '07 5:16pm PST 
yes! I live in Newfoundland where it is damp, snowy and mild to moderately cold in the winter. I have a few jackets (you can see them in my photo album/pics), and I love them. I don't mind putting my paws in them, or getting them wrapped around me. I even have a windbreaker, because it is so windy here there is often a windchill, and mommy wants me to keep warm. I even wear muttluks (doggie booties) to protect me from the ice and salt. I don't mind them anymore, though first I hated them!

Let us know what your mommy decides!
love Rudy
wave
Mika MADC,- MJDC,- AG.N.J.,- A.G.

My mom\\\'s- heart dog

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 3:47pm PST 
Well, I have four items of clothing; my raincoat which I wear when it's raining, my snowsuit which I wear when there's snow out, my recently bought sweater which I wear when it's chilly, and my all-round jacket which I wear when my mom can't find one of my other three clothes. I hate wearing my clothes, but it's true, they do keep me warm and dry. I would suggest that your mom buy both of you snowsuits to wear during the winter. Just make sure that the snowsuit covers your legs, as the snow can pack into little balls caught in your fur if your legs aren't covered. smile
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2