Grief Relief

(Page 24 of 151: Viewing entries 231 to 240)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  [Last 10 entry]  
Dixie- (1991-2008)

she's like a- cat!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 1:35pm PST 
Dixie was put to sleep very recently (March 5). She was the only pet my family had (I've since been married and now have my own dog), and she lived over 16 yrs.
I knew it was time. She had lost her vision, hearing, and her back legs were very weak.
I am having trouble with her passing. I was there with her in the room when it happened and I think it was somewhat traumatizing. I guess I thought she would be more sedated and relaxed. I feel guilty that I could have done more, or maybe she should have just passed on her own at home.
I just feel lost in all of this. What is a good way to honor a pet? I wrote her a letter one night and I think it helped. I just want her to know how special she was and how sorry I feel.
Mrs. Riley- (of- O'Riley's)

Riley..- .say- Mom...

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 2:36pm PST 
Gracie and Dixie...my heart goes out to you. This is VERY NEW.....it will take getting used to. A long time, probably......Dixie - it's good your mom/dad were with you. I'm going to send you a private pawmail on that.

Bear and Bambi - I'm glad you're getting over your shyness and are stopping in more and more! Everyone here has been through similar, yet different pain.

For those pups who have a second dog at home.....I'd like to offer a little suggestion. When I left for the Bridge, mom and dad brought Skye to the Vet's with us. After I "left", dad brought Skye in from the car into the room. He sniffed me and looked around, and then he was (relatively) fine. He knew I was gone. And he knew where I went. The doctor said Skye knew I was sick before anyone else anyway.

Skye was lonely for a companion, so mom and dad got Quinn (or did she get them?????).

Anyway, please keep posting; everyone here will listen and help you through this. It's very difficult....and some people don't get it. So, better to share your thoughts here....with those of us that do!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bear and- Bambi - Mommys- Angels

My Sweet Angels

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 3:21pm PST 
Dixie...I am sorry to hear of your passing, but it sounds like you had a wonderful life and loving pawrents. You will like it at the bridge, it is nice up here. We are well again!

Mrs. O'Reily...you are so right some people don't get it! People tell me all the time: They were dogs get over it..this makes me so mad! They were not just dogs, they were and still are my kids, my babies! I miss and think of them everyday.

Weazy -In- Loving- Memory- Always

I wanna play!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 3:31pm PST 
Dixie's family: you did the right thing and in your heart, you know it. It was the most unselfish thing you could've done. It shows how much you love her and she is grateful.

It's been right at nine months since I passed away and my mom still has bad days, even though she now has 2 more dogs, one of whom is my half brother (same mother, different litter). She says he acts alot like me and reminds her of me alot. Some ways that helps and some ways it doesn't. She has a very hard time reading messages in this group, too. She just starts crying and crying and reliving the day I passed.

She had people tell her, too, that it's just a dog, get over it, and she just ignored them. She leaned on people who felt the same way she did, that pets are part of the family. Our dogster pals have been very beneficial to her, too. She is very grateful for all the love and kindness from her dogster mommy pals. hughughug
Cisco Kid

Free Kisses!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 3:32pm PST 
Dixie, you sweet thing....can we help you get your wings precious...I think this is the #1 step in helping to make the transition over the Rainbow Bridge...besides, we all look so cute with our first pair of wings and our pawrents never forget that day!!!!

cloud 9cloud 9cloud 9

Bear and Bambi and Weazy, just remember that the humans that don't understand will always try to put a silver lining around your pawrents grief...Mama always asks these people how they would feel of they lost one of their OWN kids and she then tells them to times it by 100...then maybe they will understand....!!!!:

Edited by author Sun Mar 9, '08 3:33pm PST

☮Ch@ch1(8.17.97 -3.5.08

rest in peace

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 8:41pm PST 
Dixie, my baby passed on the same day and I've also had guilt problems though reading your post I'm thinking this might be part of grieving, if you want to vent I am here in the same pain.
Mrs. Riley- I let my Magpie sniff Chachi before I placed him in his grave, she reacted very much like Skye.I just wanted her to know since she is blind and might not realize things as quickly.
Bear and Bambi- Your picture is soooo cute it makes me really feel that our babys are little angels somewhere.
Cisco Kid- Your posts are always so spot on and comforting, I love this group!! it has lifted my spirit when I've needed it most.
Brandy (In- Loving- Memory)

Forever loved,- never forgotten

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 8:55pm PST 
In reading your posts it makes me wonder if maybe mom did the wrong thing when I passed. She wouln't let Nikki see me or smell me b/c she was afraid it would make it worse for Nikki. I wonder if not knowing was what was so hard for Nikki in the end? She was so depressed for so long. I guess it doesn't matter now but it does make you wonder.
D-Day *The- MacDaddy*

just a big- momma's boy

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '08 7:57am PST 
Chachi I think maybe you're right about guilt being part of grieving.
We're supposed to take care of our furbabes and we do. It's the helplessness of their end that makes us feel like we didn't do it right.

Brandy don't beat yourself up about Nikki. I honestly think the animals know before us. D-Day wouldn't even come out of the bedroom when I was holding Jazzy. He knew what was happening but waited until she was gone to come lay by her. They mourn in their own way.
Sadie Mae- (7/14/00 - 4/21/07)

I'm- beautiful...just- ask me...

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '08 8:14am PST 
I have this in Sadie's diary...The first time I read it...it touch my heart...the words really hit home...I often go into her dairy just to read this...I think for those who have not already read it you will really enjoy it...I know it will touch you as well...cloud 9cloud 9

Just A Dog...

September 16th 2007 8:01 am [link to this entry]

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog,"
or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog,"
but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog,"
and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand
phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust,
and pure unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog", I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future,
the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away
from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog",
but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being
"just a man or woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog"
just smile...
because they "just don't understand."

by Richard Biby

Edited by author Mon Mar 10, '08 8:15am PST

Cisco Kid

Free Kisses!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '08 9:17am PST 
hughugSo Truehughug
  (Page 24 of 151: Viewing entries 231 to 240)  
[First 10 entry] Page Links:  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  [Last 10 entry]