GO!

HELP - MY GOLDEN IS A PIG !!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Captain- "Like- Someone in- Love"

If it's on the- floor...it's- mine!

Barked: Sat Feb 7, '09 1:54pm PST 
Hi everyone, does anyone have the same problem as me? My golden is a great boy with the exception of food...he goes absolutely crazy when it is feeding time or if we are eating, etc. If we do not make sure anything edible is removed off the kitchen counters he will "scope it out" and see what he can snag. Also, when it is feeding time he continously circles the kitchen island until it is time for his food. When it is time to eat, he is finished eating in about 10 seconds and then goes insane looking for other food. I have since put one of my small weights in his food which slows down his eating. It not only drives me crazy but makes my other dogs get upset because he is sooo food driven at feeding time. Does anyone else have this problem? lol..just curious....naughty
[notify]
Bálin

'Don't eat- yellow snow, or- brown snow!'

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 1:21pm PST 
When you find out you let me know!!!! I have the same problem.
[notify]
Cheese

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 3:52pm PST 
Hm....my golden is my first dog, and because I don't want any problems (hopefully), so I took my golden to training class since 4 months of age.
I found the "Down--Stay" command very good, and also, teaching the dog "Leave-it" command is very important. I make my dog to do a series of commands before every meal time, because I want him to know that, he need to work for his meal. I usually start with "heel ~ about turn~ sit~ watch me~ hand~ get the ball~ come~ sit~ drop it~ heel position~ watch me~ hand~ GO!!"
I always have my dog wait at his bed when I am preparing for his meal, and he is not allowed to move (down-stay). Due to the fact that, "Stay" means no movement until the next command, so I can move around in my kitchen, even put his bowl down without him come rushing and beg for food.
Some of my friends thought I am a mean owner, because "naughty = no food", but I can totally trust my dog to stay alone in the house with my left over lunch on my dining table.dog
[notify]

Gaffer

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '09 6:14pm PST 
Poor you XD

Luckily, i train dogs, and i knew how to correct this very bad behavior. My dogs are not allowed in the kitchen. They are not allowed neer the table. and they are not allowed neer food, at all.

The "leave it" command helps in everyday commands.
I'd suggest you teach it to your Golden.
And, the "Head Down" command, is great Aswell.

I hope you can stop this, because goldens are known to become overweight easily confused
[notify]