GO!

When to spay my Golden girl?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Sadie

Ticket to Ride

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 7:30am PST 
Hi, I looked through the GR forum, and didn't see a topic like this...our breeder said to not spay her until after 14 months (something about the bones not fusing properly if done before that). Our vet is ready to spay her any time now. Sadie is 10 months and has gone through her first heat (but not her second)...any experience with this?
[notify]
Shiloh

It's all about- the dogs.....

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 9:12am PST 
I find there seems to be a lot of different opinions on this subject. Our vet for instance has always said any time after 6 months is the right time. Shiloh's breeder told us to wait till she was at least a year old. Saying they are not fully developed and still growing. I do know the older they get the harder it is on them. My first Golden was spayed at 6 months, Shiloh was done at 11 months, and Spirit spayed at 7 months. I waited the longest to have Shiloh done and she turned out to be the smallest of the 3.
I know I've not been much help frown But if it were my Golden Girl, I would have her in and get her done as soon as possible. Good luck , whatever you decide!
Nancy Shiloh & Spirit & Bailey from The Bridge little angel
[notify]