GO!

Dal Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Spirit

Barked: Sun Dec 13, '09 5:49pm PST 
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to learn more about Dals and I thought I would go right to the source. I have a Service Dog now, but one day she will retire and I am interested in breaking away from Goldens and Labs. My school will certify any breed. What do you think of Dals as Service Dogs. I am VERY active as well!!!
Thanks, Jen
[notify]
Tipper

Tipper-aka- Lots 'o- Spots

Barked: Tue Dec 29, '09 4:06am PST 
Hi! Check your pawmail!
[notify]
Lincoln

I have no off- switch

Barked: Mon Feb 15, '10 11:26am PST 
I own two Dalmatians. I would never use them as service dogs but..if the dog is from a good breeding (not inbred like most are), and is trained very well from puppyhood I think it could be done. Dals are a meh type breed. They are very high energy and tend to drift to do things themselves. If they arent giving something to do they find something...believe me. I would asy go for it.
[notify]

Delta Force- CGC RN NA- RL1

Raw Fed and- Happy

Barked: Wed Feb 17, '10 7:50pm PST 
There is a breeder I was looking at the other day that had multiple service dalmatians. I think they would make good service dogs when brought up that way. They love their humans a lot. They do need to exercise a lot though, but inside the house, when exercised well, they are very well behaved and will be couch potatoes if you want them to be. I have found that I have molded my two dalmatians into what I want them to be... low key inside, allowed to play around outside. My Delta LOVES to work.

They aren't hyper like many people think. They confuse hyper with needing exercise. They love to cuddle. People used to think they were stupid and unintelligent because a lot of dalmatians used to be deaf, so they couldn't hear the commands.

Edited by author Wed Feb 17, '10 7:53pm PST

[notify]
Birdy

Princess- Birdykins

Barked: Thu Feb 25, '10 9:04pm PST 
Dals can make Wonderful service dogs.
[notify]
Delta Force- CGC RN NA- RL1

Raw Fed and- Happy

Barked: Wed Apr 21, '10 8:17pm PST 
http://www.pepsea.net/
[notify]
Katherine

Black Spots

Barked: Sun May 30, '10 5:18pm PST 
Excellent service dogs! Check out this link. You can see two Dalmatians who work as service dogs:

http://lindsay.workndog.org/

BTW - Katherine is a Dalmatian Mix, but I still think of her as my Dal. laugh out loud
[notify]