GO!

Back Surgery Worries

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Lola

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 6:21pm PST 
Hi everyone.

I'm new here, so bare with me. My Lola just had back surgery a few days ago. He had been having some pain a week before and he was prescribed crate rest, which we have never done with him, so that was pretty much a disaster. He seemed to improve, however, but this past Tuesday he woke up with paralyzed back legs. We quickly made the 6 hour trip to have surgery done. He had some motor function in his left leg and none in the right before surgery. The day after surgery, he regained the motor in his left and the next day, the motor in his right. He was able to pee on his own 2 days later so we came home. He needs a sling to stand and cannot walk without help. The vet said he would look like he gets worse before he gets better, and that's very true. He seems very weak when he stands outside and tries to pee. He only just started eating again today. I know this is going to be a long process, but I just worry so much. I feel like I'm constantly checking to make sure he still has feeling in his legs and whatnot. I know the prognosis is really good with surgery and I was told an 85% recovery. My worry is the crate resting, which we will have to do again when we leave the house, and the fact that we don't have any animal physiotherapy services at all where I live. I was given some exercises to do with him at home, but I just worry that won't be enough, or that we're doing the wrong things. I'm just hoping some of you out there have been through the same things and can offer some guidance and reassurance and tips on what I can do to ensure he'll get back to normal. I look forward to talking to you. Thank you for listening to my ramblings.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 10:04am PST 
I just posted to the other entry on back surgery - your reaction is totally normal. I freaked out for about the entire first year post surgery.... every time he jumped, acted weird, ran crazy after a cat in the yard I was certain he had hurt his back again (and MANY times I took him back to the vet only to have them tell me to crate him and/or keep an eye on him as he seemed ok). It will get better. YOu will always be cautious, but your dog will improve - just give it time.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 5:46pm PST 
My 5 year old, long-haired wiener boy, Templeton, had two herniated disks surgically repaired 6 days ago. He's been home three days. The stress is going to kill me! He's almost 20 lbs, and I have to carry him to take him outside. And everywhere else. He has partial control of his bladder. He had not been crate trained before, so he has been going ballistic every time I leave him in the kennel. I don't know what to do since I'm told to keep him quiet. When does a bowel movement happen? Do I need to help him with that like I've had to do with the expressing of his bladder? When does it get the tiniest bit easier? I'm madly in love with him and he's worth it but I need some more help with answers. Anyone, please?
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 7:58pm PST 
I know exactly how you feel. My 4 year old mini had back surgery on 12/27. He dove off the couch - even though there are stair for him - and immediately screamed in pain. I immediately rushed him to the vet. Our vet sent us ove to an animal hospital that has a state of the art surgical center. he was in surgery within 8 hours slipping the disc. He has been home since the 31st. At first he was urinating on his own, but is not anymore. I have been taking him over to our vet's office for his bladder to be expressed each day. They just put him on some medication that is supposed to help, but so far he has not urinated, but h also has not had much to drink or eat today.

He does have deep pain sensation and was at one point waggin his tail. I don't know if that was voluntary or not. I am doing the range ofmotion excersizes with him and can feel a little resistance in his right side. I know this is going to be a long road and I am heartbroken and totally freaking out. I have read that after they get the stapled out, they start to do better. I am not sure if this is true, but it makes sense.

Please keep posting updates our your little one, and I will so the same. it might help to have someone else going through this at pretty much the same time. he can drag himself, but today he has seemed a little depressed. Maybe the pain patch is wearing off???
[notify]

Barked: Sat Jan 7, '12 6:07pm PST 
I am very worried about my almost 7 yr old daschund. He had back surgery acouple of years ago and recovered very nincely even though you could tell he was still a little wobbly. The last couple of wks he has gotten down in his back again. I took him to the vet, not the one who did the surgery because he was closed. This vet gave him som anti flamatory med and pain med. I have been literally carrying him outside to potty and he will walk around alittle and then sit down like he cant walk anymore. I then pick him up and carry hm back in. You can tell his back is hurting because he will start hollaring trying to get in a comfortable position. Is the back surgery only suppose to last for so long? Is there a possibility that he back is wearing out again? Please help, I am so worried.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '12 4:12pm PST 
Hiya all..reading everyone responses has put me at ease a little that im not the only one going crazy about daxie back problems....my mini dax phoebe who is 5 in may has had surgery yesterday to remove a slipped disc,we visted her tonight at the vets and i came home in tears as she has no use of her back legs at all and hated leaving her there although i know its best for her at the moment,im so scared the feeling in her back and legs wont come back at all and looking for abit of re-assurance that this op will work, she is a much loved pet and i would be lost without her,i have wrapped my girl in cotton wool since she was a pup as i was aware of back issues with this breed,shes never been allowed to jump on the sofa or up and down stairs so im sad this has happend...can anyone tell me what to expect from now? hope all your pooches are recovering well..charlotte xx
[notify]