GO!

Surgery Concerns - Back

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Buddy

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 5:17pm PST 
So my best friend Buddy went from very happy and playing on Tuesday afternoon to being unable to move his rear legs on Wednesday night. We rushed the little guy to the Emergency Vet near our house, at which time they recommended going to a larger Vet Hospital so the surgery could be done right away.

Surgery was completed on Wednesday night at University of Pennsylvania Animal Hospital. Before surgery Buddy was having superficial as well as deep pain. Surgery has been completed yesterday and I was told that as of now he has feeling in his right leg but does not have feeling in his left.

Is this normal that other people have seen? The surgeon didn't seem worried and mentioned that they usually get a bit worse before they get better.

I'm very worried about the little guy and any information would be helpful! Thanks!
[notify]
Lola

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 8:55pm PST 
I'm going through this exact same thing right now. My little guy had surgery on Tuesday night and now has motor in his left which is stronger thn his right. The right seems very weak. I'm very worried as well. It's hard to know what to expect with these things.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 9:51am PST 
My dog had back surgery almost 2 years ago and the neurosurgeon said he was doing great when I picked him up to bring home (3 or 4 days post op). He was extremely wobbly and I had to hold his little back end when I took him out to potty. I thought the same thing ("THIS is doing great?!") but it does take time. I kept mine confined for almost 8 weeks post surgery and now about 2 years later, aside from what I call the "tipsy walk" (a slight swagger when he walks slowly - which he never does!), you would never know there was anything wrong. He runs and is just as crazy as he was before the surgery... albeit, there is no more going up / down stairs (I have ramps) and no jumping off anything! Give it time - my vet told me to not look for improvement daily but rather in weeks or even months. Ask any person who has had back surgery and they will tell you the same thing - it is a long long recovery.
[notify]