GO!

My dachsund won;t eat sometimes

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Frankie

Mamma loves me- SO much!

Barked: Thu Sep 17, '09 12:53pm PST 
Does anyone have a problem with thier doxie not wamting to eat for like two days then starts eating again? Also there is not any poop during these times either. I've heard that this is normal for a doxie. Is tis true?thinking
[notify]
The- Weenigos,- NPC

All for one, one- for All!!

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 4:41am PST 
NO! Dachshunds are notorious food hounds, would eat themselves fat and round if allowed. I would suggest asking the vet either next visit, or next time it happens, just in case there is some underlying cause.
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Mon Sep 21, '09 12:03am PST 
I am signed in as Sallie Mae, a boxer, but I also have a red lond haired dachsund. Chili has those days also, eating almost nothing sometimes. The vet has done bloodwork and found nothing wrong. He is the correct weight for his size and age. I keep him checked pretty often with the vet as I have feared that one day his liver may fail. He ate mushrooms as a wee little thing and almost died. The vet says at this time, all enzymes are normal and just to make sure he has plenty of fresh water at all times. He is 3 andalmost died at 5 months. Sure can't tell it now, I am just a worry freak!
[notify]

Dexter

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 9:24am PST 
I have a 5 month old doxie, Dexter, and he does the same thing. His is mostly when he gets stressed (I live in an apartment by myself for graduate school and travel 2 hours home every few weekends) so new areas or people can stress him out, but sometimes he just waits to eat. Sometimes he just waits till I'm eating so he can eat too.

I asked my vet about it when I went in to get his Parvo shots, and he said not to worry because he is still using the bathroom normally and isn't showing any other signs of distress. He is just watching his figure smile
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Wed Sep 30, '09 12:50pm PST 
sometimes i will skip a meal because i am hoping for something better! wink
i get mad when all i see is kibble, ok with a squirt of salmon oil maybe for breakfast but for dinner i want a jazzy topper or i will bark my displeasure in no uncertain terms!
i would offer you a piece of cheese or some boiled chicken meat (i like thighs/shredded, skin removed) stewed with baby carrots. if you didn't eat something delicious, i would be concerned.
are you feeding a quality food?
[notify]
nina

little- dog big- life

Barked: Thu Oct 1, '09 11:57am PST 
it occured to me last night when mulling over the idea of your little fasts while i was wolfing my din din to recommend you get your teeth checked, frankie. they could be causing you some pain.
[notify]