GO!

Indoor Potty Training for Dachshund Puppies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Charlie

For a treat,- I'll change my- mind!

Barked: Fri Oct 17, '08 11:49pm PST 
Indoor potty training is the way to go if you have a dachshund puppy. This is true for miniature dachshund puppies as well as for those of the standard variety. I love dachshunds in general but am partial to the miniature dachshund. This article is primarily meant for those who have a single dachshund puppy.

Indoor training will spare you some of the unpleasantries of having a dachshund that must go outside. Who wants to get up at 5 AM in the morning, when it is rainy or cold or, when you are watching a great movie? It is also better on the dachshund’s bowels and bladder if they can go potty anytime they want.

Start the potty training as soon as possible once you get your new best friend home. Dachshund puppies are quite small so even if they do make a mess it is no big deal. However, having them make a mess on a hard floor is preferable as it is much easier to clean than if they go on carpet. For the first few days you have your doxie at home, I suggest you have them mostly contained to a room with a hard floor…like in a bathroom. Don’t worry, you can get them out to play and can go into their area to spend as much time with them as you wish. I suggest having some Nature's Miracle around when a mess on the carpet (it will happen) does occur. You will be amazed at the power and efficiency of this product.

Place everything your dachshund puppy needs in the contained area i.e. their bed, food and, potty. If you are lucky, the breeder has already initiated their paper training which will make it easier for you and your new puppy. Start their training off on some newspaper. If and when they make a mess on the floor put a little of the pee or poop on the newspaper or preferably between a few pieces of newspaper. They will smell this and will begin to associate this as the place for them to do their business. Some people utilize wee wee pads but I never did.

Very gently chastise your dachshund puppy when they don’t perform well; they will feel the disappointment in your voice. Never yell at them as they are incredibly sensitive and will be very hurt. They very much want to please you! Do not praise them or give them a treat when they make a mistake. Just keep working with them and your dachshund puppy will soon get it right. When they do get it right praise them and give them a treat. Your puppy will be so happy! It won’t be long until they start getting it right most of the time! You will develop your own little system as times goes by.

One purpose of this article is to spare you some of the mistakes I’ve made over the years. My mini dachshund (Charlie) is almost 12 years old and I have experimented with several indoor potty techniques over the years. I started off with newspaper (paper training) but as your dachshund puppy grows, you will tire of them stepping in their own urine, transferring urine or, having the urine drain off the newspaper onto the floor.

Dachshunds have a quirk where if their front paws are on the paper they think their entire body is on the paper. This causes a number of near misses…especially since their body is long like a hot dog. Improvement was made when I placed a plastic hallway runner under the newspaper. At some point, I then purchased a large litter box and then placed newspaper in that and a hallway runner under the litter box.

You will so love your dachshund puppy that messes won’t matter much. However, as years go by, the messes have a way of growing on you. Once Charlie got into his 10th year or so I started to get quite tired of dealing with the messes. It is a labor of love however and unavoidable.

Just recently, I discovered and purchased a Wizdog indoor potty system. How I wish I had discovered this years ago! Wizdog consists of a large plastic pan with a separate plastic grate on top. You place newspaper in the bottom of the device. The dog does it’s business on top of the grate and the urine falls into the tray below. No more wet footprints or urine on the floor. The poop is easy to clean off the top of the grate. This is so much better than the intermediate steps I went through over the years. Charlie is taking to this upgrade well—messes transferred to the floor have decreased dramatically. I’m happier now too as the messes are more contained and much easier to clean up. Wizdog and Nature's Miracle can be purchased through my Dachshund site.

In summary, for indoor potty training of your dachshund puppy, start off with paper training. Then, soon integrate your setup and system with a Wizdog. You’ll be glad you did–trust me! This will allow you to skip all the intermediate steps I experimented with and utilized over the years.

Sincerely, Link
site administrator of:

www.dachshundgifts.org

friend of dachshunds
everywhere

Edited by author Wed Oct 22, '08 6:14pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Thu Nov 13, '08 10:41pm PST 
Here is some addl info I recently added to this article:

Chastise your Dachshund puppy immediately when they don’t perform well; they will feel the disappointment in your voice. Making an unpleasant noise in general works well in this regard. For example, the moment you see the naughty weiner going somewhere they are not supposed to raise your voice a bit towards them, clap your hands, shake a can with coins in it, etc. Spraying them with water works wonders also. The spray bottle you spray plants with is perfect for this purpose. They hate getting sprayed so this is a great way to deter them from unwanted behaviors. Never give them praise or a treat when they perform poorly.

Try to never yell or scream at your Doxie as they are incredibly sensitive and will be very hurt. If you do you will see how crestfallen they are and you will feel guilty. Your Dachshund very much wants to please you!

Thanks, Link
www.dachshundgifts.org
[notify]
Duffy

Its all about Me- & My Mommie

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:25pm PST 
Yes we've gotten the potty training down now to a schedule treats and high praise helped a lot. thanks for the wonderful information.
[notify]

Queenie

what's a wee wee- pad?

Barked: Wed Dec 3, '08 11:18am PST 
Thanks very much for suggesting Wizdog! Queenie is an adult and she goes on wee wee pads inside during the day when we're not home. She does have the problem where she goes half on/half off at times - it's something I've tollerated for years, but it's now getting more and more on my nerves so I'm interested in alternatives.

Does Wizdog typically move when there is weight on it? My only concern is that she will not use something she'll have to jump up on and have the grate move or be at all unsteady beneath her. I couldn't even get her to use the doggy steps because they were so cheaply made! She also doesn't like to walk on metal grates/vents in the sidewalks outside (she's a city dog) - so perhaps she wouldn't even like the grate "sensation" under her?

What do you think? puppy
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 12:15am PST 
Hello There Queenie!

I just sent you a private message asking for your e mail address so I can send you a picture. In fact, your inquiry made me realize I should include a picture or two of my Wizdog setup on my site. I have a setup which works great for us.

My Wizdog does not move when Charlie is on top of it so if you get one I would not expect it to move either. There is a little place on each corner underneath of it which helps it to stay in place on the floor.

In addition to having newspaper in the bottom to soak up urine I also put some newspaper on top. I fold in half a piece of newspaper and place it on the far end of the Wizdog and over to the left. So when Charlie approaches he puts his front feet on the newspaper and then he is far enough forward for his pee to fall thru the grate.

I think this would be the best approach for you too especially when the product is new and your doxie is getting use to it. Then after awhile, you can modify as needed. The grate may feel a bit funny at first but the squares are not so far apart that Charlie felt like he would fall thru or anything. It is made of hard plastic. Charlie got use to it pretty quick.

Having some paper on top is a kind of a hybrid approach that I use. He is use to paper so I find this method works great for us. There is no magic bullet however. Wizdog is the best thing I have found or know of in this regard.

You can order your Wizdog here: Wizdog

Best Wishes, Link

www.dachshundgifts.org

smile
[notify]
Queenie

what's a wee wee- pad?

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 6:48am PST 
Well, thank you Link (and Charlie!) - I've sent you my email for those photos, that would be great! big grin

Sounds like it's worth a shot - might take a little time but most things do and at $40, it's not a huge issue if she ends up not using it.

Thanks so much for the info, I really do appreciate it! way to go
[notify]
Tucker

Barked: Wed Jan 7, '09 6:49pm PST 
i just got my dapple puppy- he's 10 weeks and so far i have been inside training with pee pads which he uses but i also try to take him outside alot too so eventually he will know to go outside. am i confusing him or will he eventually learn to go outside even though he's pinned up with pee pads while im at work? also, i try to crate him at night but he just poops in his crate and i have to clean it every couple hours and its cutting into my sleep!!! is he too young to hold it and be crated, or do i just keep on till he learns? thanks- im kinda new at puppies!!
[notify]
scarletfeist

ilovetreats!

Barked: Sat Jan 10, '09 12:00am PST 
hi everyone! scarletfeist is my new baby dachshund. she is with me for about 2months now. she's my first dogie. i need helpin training her bladder and bowel bussines.. since wizdog is notyet available here in phils. i sumtimes leave her at the garage and when i got home poopoos and urines scatterd in her play pen. i also having difficulties,because her bowel movement is not regular this few days passed. she doesnt poo after her meals, hours passed before she could do her business. is it normal? thankyou,im so frantic innocent about it.

p.s. scarletfeist dont have pics yet.i'll catch up soon.thank you guys.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 9:42pm PST 
For Tucker,

I'm gonna have to try to get some e mail notification of posts thru msn or else check back in more often.

Yes, 10 weeks is pretty young. Charlie, my doxie, is paper trained but that doesn't mean he cannot go outside. Anytime we are outside together he can (and does) go anytime he wants.

I would make a choice asap between indoors vs outdoors training. I prefer paper training over wee wee pads but pads seem to work for a lot of people. If you decide indoors as he gets older I would definitely switch to paper training and then some day to a wizdog understanding there is no perfect solution. However, if pads seem to work well and you are happy with that then stick to that.

I would have him pinned in somewhere at night instead of crate trained at this young age. Have him pinned in at night when you are in bed like you have him pinned in while you are out. You can have him crated for shorter periods like maybe an hour to 1.5 hrs.

Ideally it is beat to have a giant crate. Think of a spare bathroom or laundry room as a giant crate. This is best if you have something available. And don't shut the door on them in that room but have a child/pet gate to keep them gated in the room when you can't be with them. That way there is no solid barrier (like a door) separating the two of you. Having a radio in the room is good for when you are not there or at night to soothe them. Make sure the room has a hard floor and is not carpeted.

Of course have your puppy out as much as possible when you are home but until trained expect messes.

Keep me posted please.

Best wishes! Link
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 9:50pm PST 
Scarletfeist,

Hello there,

I would begin paper training or wee wee pad training immediately. I suggest paper training.

Please see my article on www.dachshundgifts.org It will tell you how to go about this.

You should be able to order wizdog no matter where you are?

This will take time and patience on your part. Try not to have any shut doors between your doxie and you while you are at home. Instead have some type of gate separator.

Have a radio or something for your doxie to listen to while you are not home. Something soothing.

Best wishes, Link
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2