GO!

SAVE THE PIEBALDS!!!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Daddy's Dappled Lil' Kena Bug

If it's not- mine, it will be- soon!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 11:59am PST 
Have you guys heard the news? The AKC and the DCA are officially dismissing the piebald dachshund!

They've taken us out of the Standard!

Then sent letters out to all the show judges telling them that if they see a piebald, to throw it out...

shock

THEY ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF US!!!!

Here, check out this website:

www.SaveThePiebalds.com

And Please sign the petition to SAVE THE PIEBALDS!

PETITION

Let's tell the AKC and DCA that we think piebalds should be in the standard!

way to go
[notify]
Lil' Chocolate Dulce de Leche

I'm as Sweet as- my Color is- Chocolate!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 12:02pm PST 
And Please Tell EVERY Pup you know!!!

dog
[notify]
Oscar and- Callie

SQUIRREL!!!

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '07 8:34pm PST 
Some dachshund groups will not us spread the word...
[notify]

Shorty

Egrets must DIE!

Barked: Mon Oct 22, '07 4:13pm PST 
AKC and DCA rarely do things without reasoning. It took them forever to toss out the double dapples - which was for the betterment of the breed.

What's up with the piebalds? I dont see any genetic defects resulting in their purposeful breeding...
[notify]
Skippy

Skipper Doodle

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '07 6:51pm PST 
AKC goes along with what the parent clubs say most of the time. But they do register the white doberman when the DPCA would like them removed.
[notify]
Daddy's Dappled Lil' Kena Bug

If it's not- mine, it will be- soon!!!

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 3:50pm PST 
Hey Shorty,

Mommy sent a letter to some DCA members and only one of them replied

One of the questions mommy asked was, "Why are piebalds considered unworthy to be part of the breed standard."

Here is the DCA members response: "For hundreds of years, white has not been considered desirable in the Dachshund. Our standard and many others around the world, have long stated that a small amount of white on the chest was acceptable but not desirable. It has not been considered to represent correct breed type as most Dachshunds have either been black/tan or red.

Because you have Piebalds, all is not lost as far as showing is concerned. We know that Piebald is a recessive gene so you can easily breed away from it if you wish to have something to show. Breeding to a dog that does not carry piebald will not produce piebalds. Those dogs will carry the piebald gene but as long as they are not bred to anything that carries pie, they will not produce pies. You can produce reds, blk/tan, possibly chocolate, blue or cream depending upon what color genes your dogs carry and all of those can be shown in AKC rings."

So, her advice was to "Breed the Piebald Gene Out!!!!" shock

But again, without being able to show the piebalds in conformation events, thus proving that the dog is close enough to the breed standard to pass on these genes to future generations, how can you feel good about breeding that dog???

Sounds like this is going to be a huge dilemma for a LONG time!

There is no "Genetic" or "Health" concerns with this pattern that is backing this decision by DCA....it's all just their "Personal Opinion" about the "Look" of the dog!

confused

And, to top that off, they want it "Bred Out..."

So there's your answer as to why....

(awful, hu?)

cry
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '07 9:07pm PST 
that is awful we love the pie's
[notify]
Shorty

Egrets must DIE!

Barked: Wed Oct 31, '07 4:13pm PST 
I can see the issue with not wanting certain patterns of white on dachs, because it's a sign of a double-dapple.

But trying to completely eradicate piebalds because they have white on them when they've never had congenial deficiencies like dapples is obsurd!

I'm with ya, save the piebalds! Or at least give me a reason other than "well... they're white and we dont like white on anything for no apperant reason."
[notify]
Bindy

Barked: Tue Nov 6, '07 12:46pm PST 
Actually...
The piebalds and double dapples are NOT being thrown out. That was just a letter of recomendation, that they would rather judges wouldn't put these dogs up. But what makes me mad is the picture representatives. They have great show pics of the dapples and solids, but piebalds they have pet dogs, I have nothing against pet dogs, but they should represent them with a better representative of the breed just as they did for the other colors. My mom breeds show quality piebald dachshunds, they are becoming more and more popular in Canada, maybe WE can save the color?
[notify]
Eli

Happy to be home

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 8:51am PST 
Leyna and I signed the petition! Hopefully someone will listen. Mom gets so many compliments on us on how cute we are. There aren't many Pies that I've seen in Cincinnati.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5