GO!

Urine smell and can't figure out where it's coming from or why

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 4:03pm PST 
For the past week, when I sit at my kitchen table, I smell dog urine. There are moments when it's kind of strong and I'm at a loss as to why.

I've not seen any pee puddles on the floor in the morning. Moose has full access to the house at night, but I'm not finding evidence of a puddle of pee. Plus, I'd hear it. My bedroom is right next to where I'm sitting. No way I wouldn't hear that water fall.

Could this be an old urine smell that seems to have rejuvinated itself?
The first 5-6 days I had Moose, back in mid Jan, he only urinated inside, in the kitchen on linoleum and a few times near where I'm sitting. The urine was cleaned up immediately and followed by either a big dosing of Natures Miracle or vinegar. I never, ever smelled urine during that time or after, but now it's smelly.
I'd understand possibly the urine smell coming back if I hadn't cleaned it well and the sun beating down on the area, but I cleaned it well and there's no sun shining on the area this time of year. And I haven't mopped the area recently.

Could it be an old urine smell?
I'm going to look again, super, super close to see if he's peeing, just a little bit, somewhere.
[notify]
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:04pm PST 
You could try using a black light to help spot any old urine stains that the smell could be coming from.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:53pm PST 
It's getting around to that time of year when the heaters are on. Do you have floor vents? if you dog peed on the linoleum, there may be chance that some of it got into the register and dried out, and is now being smelled whenever the heat or vent is on.

I had a friend with a dog that that figured out it could "hide" it's mess by peein on the register and the intake. This was a great idea until the heaters were turned on for the season and the smell silenced

It took her a few days to figure out why all of a sudden the whole house stank like dog pee too.
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 12:41am PST 
I have a cat that also used to pee in the floor vent things. silenced That would be my #1 bet.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 1:42pm PST 
I thought of the heater vent possibility, but I smell it most when the heater isn't on. And I put my nose to the area around the vent and the vent itself and there's no urine smell. Plus, I would think I would have smelled it from late Jan-April when my heater was on most mornings and evenings.
This is weird. Like right now. I'm home for lunch, sitting at my kitchen table, no heat on and the smell of urine is strong. I've looked all over for pee stains on the walls and floor, but I'm not seeing anything.

It could very well be the heater vent, but I'm not quite convinced that it is.

Frustrating!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 5:45pm PST 
In my old house, sadly, when someone pees in the kitchen it runs under the stove OR refrigerator if I am not right there to get it before it runs that far because the floors are not level. It can sit under there with no odor until a warm day and then it hits me right between the eyes when I walk into the kitchen.
Sounds silly, but I stopped it from happening by keeping a throw rug in front of both the stove and the refrigerator... it collects the pee and stops it from running under and the rug can be tossed into the washer.
[notify]