GO!

Cleaning after Parvo...

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Jack ~May- '12 - Jul '12~

Live like- there's no- tomorrow

Barked: Fri Jul 13, '12 11:32pm PST 
What all do I need to do to rid my house of any Parvo bacteria? I need to do this while Jack is at the vet, so any help is appreciated!
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 9:46am PST 
The only thing that will kill it is a bleach solution, but it is extremely hard to be fully rid of. Here are some advice and links from other sites about it:

"How long does Parvovirus last in the environment?
The Parvovirus family of viruses are particularly long-lived in the environment, lasting anywhere from 1 to 7 months -- commonly surviving 5-7 months in an outside environment. Due to the large amounts of virus particles shed in the feces of an infected dog (shedding lasts two weeks or more after exposure) and the longevity of the virus, complete eradication of the virus is often impossible.

How can I disinfect an area contaminated by a dog infected with Parvovirus?
There are many Parvovirus disinfectants on the market, but regular old bleach is still 100% effective against Parvovirus. The dilution for bleach is one part bleach to 30 parts water. Caution is advised for dyed or colored fabrics or objects."

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dognz/a/parvodog_2.htm

"Prevention and decontamination
See also: DA2PPC Vaccine

Prevention is the only way to ensure that a puppy or dog remains healthy because the disease is extremely virulent and contagious. The virus is extremely hardy and has been found to survive in feces and other organic material such as soil for over a year. It survives extremely cold and hot temperatures. The only household disinfectant that kills the virus is bleach.[20]

Puppies are generally vaccinated in a series of doses, extending from the earliest time that the immunity derived from the mother wears off until after that passive immunity is definitely gone.[26] Older puppies (16 weeks or older) are given 3 vaccinations 3 to 4 weeks apart.[21] The duration of immunity of vaccines for CPV2 has been tested for all major vaccine manufacturers in the United States and has been found to be at least three years after the initial puppy series and a booster 1 year later.[27]

A dog that successfully recovers from CPV2 generally remains contagious for up to three weeks, but it is possible they may remain contagious for up to six. Ongoing infection risk is primarily from fecal contamination of the environment due to the virus's ability to survive many months in the environment. Neighbors and family members with dogs should be notified of infected animals so that they can ensure that their dogs are vaccinated or tested for immunity. The vaccine will take up to 2 weeks to reach effective levels of immunity; the contagious individual should remain in quarantine until other animals are protected.[28]"

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Canine_parvovirus

Pers onally, I would throw away any bedding that the pup had been using. Any areas the pup has been allowed in needs to be cleaned as throughly as possible with the bleach solution. Parvo is spread through the fecal matter, I'm sure any accidents indoors have been cleaned up (would need to be cleaned again with the bleach solution if that has not already been done), but the yard will need to be picked up as well.

If you have any other animals..if they are adults and have been vaccinated they should be fine. If you have any other pups or kittens they need to be completely separated from all areas the infected pup was in contact with. Remember, shoes and anything else that came in contact with the areas can spread the virus. So basically try to think or everything you can and clean with bleach.

Hope your pup does well.hug

Edited by author Sat Jul 14, '12 9:47am PST

[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 12:10pm PST 
Thanks for that information. I have just been so anxious I wasn't sure where to start. I have every piece of clothing I wore that ever touched him, as well as everything else he touched. Which is a lot. It looks like most of it will be thrown away since some of the things cannot be bleached without ruining them. I don't mind, just want to get this all done.
[notify]

Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 1:43pm PST 
No problem. I don't think you need to throw out all your clothes; just wash them well and bleach any white ones. For throwing out, I was thinking more of things he has slept on and maybe got feces on.

I believe there are also some commercial products that can be used to clean up after Parvo you may be able to use on things that can not be bleached.

Edited by author Sat Jul 14, '12 1:45pm PST

[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 2:01pm PST 
Here is some more info.

"A solution of one part bleach to 32 parts water can be used where organic material is not present. The infected dog’s toys, food dish and water bowl should be properly cleaned and then disinfected with this solution for 10 minutes. If not disinfected, these articles should be discarded. You can also use the solution on the soles of your shoes if you think you've walked through an infected area. Areas that are harder to clean (grassy areas, carpeting and wood, for example) may need to be sprayed with disinfectant, or even resurfaced."
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/dog-care-parvov irus.aspx

How to Clean the Carpet After Parvo
http://www.ehow.com/how_6323819_clean-carpet-after-parvo.html

How to Clean Up Your Yard After Parvo
http://www.ehow.com/how_7382879_clean-up-yard-after-parvo.htm l

How to Sanitize Your House & Yard After Parvo

"Spray the soiled area with a pet stool disinfectant spray or bleach solution as described in Step 2. Stool disinfectant is available through a vet or pet supply stores. The spray kills parvovirus and is designed to not harm carpets or rugs. Blot the stain with the solution using a clean, white towel.

Wash the dog's bedding, and any blankets, sheets or towels with which the dog has come into contact. Use the hot water cycle and plenty of detergent. Place the material in the dryer on high heat."
http://www.ehow.com/how_8296051_sanitize-house-yard-after-pa rvo.html

Hope that helps! smile
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 5:26pm PST 
It's a good thing you didn't wait to take him back to the vet. You made a very good decision. way to go
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 9:14pm PST 
Yeah...I had taken him to the vet on Monday and everything seemed fine, but I am glad I didn't wait to take him back as I had originally planned.
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sat Jul 14, '12 9:44pm PST 
Thanks for the information. I am just going to get rid of Jack's toys and bedding. After I steam clean the carpet he was on and finish doing a thorough cleaning of the house (and yard - as much as I can) I am going to get him new things.
[notify]
Twister

Love me.

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 11:23am PST 
Sounds like a plan! Hope Jake gets to feeling better quickly! puppy
[notify]
Angel

Tuff Enuff!

Barked: Sun Jul 15, '12 9:37pm PST 
Me too. Right now all I can do is get things ready here for him to come home. That way when the vet says it's okay, all I will need to do is bring him home and let him settle in.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3