GO!

Removing fur from blankets before washing

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 9:04am PST 
I think this topic was covered a while back, but I'm going to ask again since I'm too lazy to go back and find it.

How do you get hair off of sheets and blankets before you launder them?
Mikey's fur overwhelms everything so instead of clogging my washer, I've been taking my sheets and blankets to a laundromat and even after they come out of the dryer, they're still covered in hair.

If I remember correctly, someone suggested in the last thread that putting the items in the dryer first with a tennis ball, gets a lot of the hair off.
Is that correct? And if it is, how effective is that?
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Thu Apr 21, '11 12:20pm PST 
The boys hair I guess isn't that overwhelming, because it's never clogged our ancient washer or dryer.

I'll usually have hubby beat the blanket or bed out on the patio before I was it. I think trying the dryer first would work well, because it'd collect a lot of hair, definitely worth a try. The tennis balls I think someone said would collect hair too? I use them when washing big fluffy things so the fluff doesn't collect all in one corner.
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sat May 7, '11 2:42pm PST 
I wouldn't be thrilled about the idea of putting a dirty blanket into the same dryer where the clean stuff also goes.
I take Hazel's bed cover and sheets outside and beat them against a tree or pole. That works well enough for us. Another option would be to vacuum them before washing.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun May 8, '11 3:38am PST 
Vacuum, beating, furminating... Yes, I use the furminator on my clothes, blankets and carpets. Especially carpets. Man does it really get the fur out! A slicker works too but be careful with fuzzy blankets. It will make them even fuzzier!
I occasionally use a sticky roll but those run out of stick so fast. Or maybe some rolled up duct tape but only when I can't find my furminator.
[notify]
The Wee- Beasties

The Wee 3 are- now the Wee 7!!!

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 12:17pm PST 
I've never had it clog up my washer but we do get a lot in the dryer. We found out years ago that if you put a half to a full cup of plain white vinegar in the wash along with your detergent, it helps the fabric actually release the dog hair and makes the hair less likely to stick. It also helps remove some stubborn smells that detergent and fabric softener just cover up. We use vinegar in every load now. That plus a static sheet in the dryer and you wouldn't believe the hair that comes out!
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 10:45am PST 
I put an old sheet down for the dogs to lay on while they're on the bed. They've learned that if the 'nappy sheet' isn't out, they aren't to get on the bed.

This doesn't really address your issue except that it limits the dog hair to one item (that doesn't collect hair like a blanket does), and can be shaken out before washing.
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 6:42pm PST 
I asked my laundromat lady why people put tennis balls in, and she said that it doesn't work for pet hair. the only thing tennis balls work for is fluffing up feather comforters so that the fluffy bits don't clump together.

I totally agree with using the furminator/shed ender. I use it to get foxxy's hair off of everything except the carpet, which has proven stubborn even to the pros. seriously, I had my carpets cleaned last week and they used the brush that pulls up the pile, and her hair spun around it like cotton candy
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat May 14, '11 7:04pm PST 
I use regular 2" wide masking tape. It also works like a charm for the inside of Scooter's work vest during shedding season (even though he gets brushed daily before it is put on).
[notify]
VALENTINO- SAMOYEDS

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 7:02pm PST 
i usually use a damp cloth. i put it over my hand like a mitt and i run my hand down the comforter or sofa. the fur usually rolls off into a ball.... if there is dog fur on something like my daughters favorite blankie I spray it with a dilute of liquid fabric softener and throw it in the dryer for ten minutes. my guys are FUZZZZZY lol
[notify]
Otto - Registered- Service Dog

ADI cert. - the only one- that matters!

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 12:29pm PST 
You could try one of the brushes that have a surface like a cat's tongue. You brush one way to pick up the hair and the other to release the hair from the brush. They are two sided and usually have a red brush part. They work wonders.

If you don't know what I mean, I'll look for a link for you. I've had mine for years. I think I got it in the grocery store of all places. Certainly, a place like Walmart should have them.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2