GO!

Dog Smell

This forum is for discussing all topics related to the challenges (and joys!) of keeping your house clean while living with dogs. Here you can share tips, recommendations for products and techniques, and more!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Gunner

Gunna get \'em!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 6:28am PST 
Sampson, furminators ROCK. They are AMAZING. Gunner's hair is super duper short (no undercoat) and when he sheds, it's amazing how much hair he looses.

I used Diamond Naturals for a little while, it is a better dog food than most (especially if you're on a budget) but we switched to Blue Buffalo and it's AMAZING. Gunner's poo isn't gooey anymore, and it shined up his coat!
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Dec 8, '10 11:05am PST 
I have TWELVE dogs more or less in my house all the time. Granted, they are poodles and Chinese cresteds (and a few Frenchies), so floating hair isn't an issue, but I am extremely sensitive to dog smell!! I wash all their crate pads at least twice a week, I mop floors often with swiffer wet jet, I have vinyl flooring with loads of machine washable scatter rugs which are washed weekly. I also have one of those airwick automatic sprayers in each room AND a HUGE hepa filter.
I find it's almost MORE important to wash their soft toys like stuffies since they seem to smell more than the dogs do!!!
Each poodle is bathed at least twice a month as well.
[notify]
Papllon Gang

Fun-N-the Sun

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 4:25pm PST 
Honestly, I do all of the aforementioned and bathe often. The best thing is bathing the dogs. I bathe mine 2x a week and I have an odorless breed. I like my dogs to always smell like shampoo.

I also use Fabreeze a lot and wash my floors once a week.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Fri Dec 31, '10 12:20am PST 
Instead of covering up the odors, we started at the source. For us, we feed RAW (prey model) and Crash smells like nothing. Just sweet, soft and warm. Our house does not smell like animals and while we do not have 500lbs of dog, we do have 1 large dog, 2 cats, etc....

Good Luck
[notify]
Izi

Our little tank

Barked: Sat Jan 1, '11 1:27pm PST 
I don't have 500lbs of dogs in my house, but I do have a Corgi that manages to smell my house up pretty badly. I use scented candles and must vacuum at least 2 times a week (I usually vacuum 3-4 times). When I vacuum I also sprinkle carpet powder on the floor and let it sit for a few minutes before vacuuming. That helps with the odor.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Mon Jan 31, '11 6:58am PST 
Also use the febreze vacuum bags, they are awesome.
[notify]
Chloe

OG- Original- Goberian

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 10:55am PST 
A high quality diet is very important, none of my animals really smell bad, but still I'm a crazy clean freak so I can give you some of my tips: We keep a towel by the front door to wipe the dogs off anytime they are wet from a walk or playing outside, because they DO smell when they are wet! I use the Arm & Hammer or Glade scented carpet powder, I only actually put it on the carpet probably once a month or less, because the scent stays in the vacuum (we have a bagless vaccum) for the next few uses, so it smells good everytime the vacuum is turned on.

I think our leather furniture helps alot too because it can be easily wiped down- when we had fabric couches they would collect pet hair and pet smells. I am also obsessed with wiping everything down with scented disinfectant wipes everyday. I burn candles and insense too.
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Tue Feb 1, '11 1:31pm PST 
In addition to what others are saying, I would like to encourage you to clean smarter not harder! wink

~ stale air in the home can make it smell off fast, even if you have no pets. Weather permitting, you can open the windows for a while to air things out regularly and that'll help. Air filtration/ventilation systems help here too.

~ Textiles hold odors, so keeping carpets clean is a good way to keep odor at bay. Baking soda is a big help here. Sprinkle over carpets and let sit awhile before vacuuming. Arm and Hammer makes a scented baking soda just to use on carpets with pets (there's a dog and cat on the box). It smells great! Rug shampooing or steaming machines are available on the market for in-home use, though they are rather costly.

~ Even the most clean-toothed, bone-chewing, teethbrushed, hydrated canine mouth produces saliva with an odor to it. Keep favorite toys clean.

~ Sleeping spaces can hold more odor than you'd expect. In between launderings, freshen up pet sleeping spots with your favorite method of odor reduction (Febreeze, essential oils in a spraybottle of water, sprinkle some baking soda and then brush or vacuum off, etc.).

~ Vinegar is a great odor eliminating cleaner. Once dry, things washed with it will smell fresh, but I warn that until the vinegar dries completely, everything will smell a bit like salad dressing.

Barked: Tue Aug 19, '14 4:37am PST 
I have a dog at my home.. He peed on my home Wool Carpet .. Now what can I do to remove the smell from the carpet.. It is smelling very badly..

Edited by author Tue Aug 19, '14 4:38am PST

[notify]
Zeus

Barked: Mon Dec 22, '14 11:48am PST 
My vet uses OdoBan and they sell it in Home Depot for less than $3.00. I've been using it for a few days and so far so good. It also cleans and disinfects. You can also spray it on fabric.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2