GO!

Chinese Crested - good with a puppy?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Maudie

Barked: Thu Feb 4, '10 9:58am PST 
Hello,

We have a 9 week old blue heeler/ lab mix rescue and have also fallen in love with a CC that needs to be rescued. The CC gets along well with the other small dogs he's living with. Any information on how you think he'd do with a puppy? Our hope is that the puppy is so young that she can adapt very easily. I just want to make sure we're doing the right thing for both dogs.
[notify]
Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Fri Feb 19, '10 9:53am PST 
I don't think there should be a problem. You might not want to leave them alone together for a while. Crate one or both of them if you have to leave them for any time.
I have a Crestie girl and a Boxer/Rotti/GSD mix, both 4 years old. They're getting used to each other. I still don't leave them alone together yet, even though they seem to like each other now.
[notify]
Thor

Pick your animal- and make a study- of it.

Barked: Tue Feb 23, '10 10:49pm PST 
With a 9 week old puppy you have the advantage of getting training started correctly also with the CC. I have two CC and several other breeds they all get along wonderfully. Study dog behavior and become a pack leader and you will have no problems. Set rules, boundries and limits for all dogs in your pack and they will respect you, and therefore do as you desire. Make sure to walk them together and teach them manners. Play games and take them with you. They get tired of being behind walls and closed in yards. That is just not enough stimulation for a dog. They are nomadic by nature. So remember their needs and give them those few things and you will have a happy family.laugh out loud
[notify]

Maudie

Barked: Wed Feb 24, '10 2:31pm PST 
Thanks, everyone. It's going very well. The puppy plays a bit rough with George, but he's been a trooper. Our trainer says that i should leave it to George to tell the puppy when he's had enough. He's such a gem-- what a loving breed these guys are!
[notify]
Isabelle

Tougher than I- look!! :)

Barked: Tue Mar 9, '10 12:00pm PST 
Yes, I've only been with Momma since the end of November of 2009 and she's finding out what little wonders we Cresties are! Have fun with your puppy and your Crestie!
[notify]