GO!

Loss of confidence

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '13 2:32pm PST 
Hi I have a 1 yr 4month old catahoula dog. I've had him since he was 2 months and the only thing that really bothered him was water. I continued to try adapting him to water and from his first days in the house I trained him to accept loud noises and other things that could make a dog skittish. However he has slowly become petrified of loud noises and this past new years he was almost out of control. Now he is even scared of the frisbee or ball being thrown and will hide under something til he can find a way inside. I know a few things about building a dogs confidence but I cant explain why he is getting worse with every month and getting harder and harder to work with. Please Help!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 1:52pm PST 
I too have a 1 year 7 month old Catahoula. We have struggled with confidence for several months now. Noise is our biggest fear- she worsened around 7 or 8 months. I can empathize with you- its heartbreaking seeing your dog fearful of something they “should” enjoy. I continue to see peaks and valleys with my dog. A long lead, where she can feel like she is able to take flight in a fearful situation has helped us greatly. Over the past 4 or 5 months I have shortened the lead, with success. (We started with a 20 foot lead and are working with 8 feet currently) I’d love to understand more of what you see in your dog. Are they more fearful outside vs. inside? What type of environment do you live in? Does your dog retreat to a “safe” zone? Although I did not want to have to go the route of medication, after weeks of seeing my dog worsen, to the point of being afraid to go outdoors, the sound of the microwave, ripping paper towels… anything- my vet and I decided to put my dog on “Prozac”. I never thought I would go that route, but it got to be the only option. I am so thankful we tried it! I also recommend looking at the site fearfuldogs.com- you may find something that helps you. Good luck- and I would love to continue to discuss!
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 1:57pm PST 
Also, did you see a loss in appetite with your dog as the fear increased? I have had trouble getting my dog to eat the proper amount daily with her fear issues. I would be interested to know if your dog has any loss of appetite.
Thanks!
[notify]