GO!

New boxer in our family

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Griffin

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 7:14am PST 
Giffin came to live with our family in Febuary. He is 8 months old, a high energy dog. I walk him 3 times daily for about 30 minutes a day. It is a fast pace walk. ( I have already lost some weightdancing) He walks wonderful on the leash most of the time. I correct him immediatly so thats not a problem. The problem is that he will not let me know when he has to potty. There is no sound or whine or anything. He will just go. I now take him outside every hour to make sure that he is not going to go in the house. He is crate trained and has accidents in the crate, we did make is a little smaller so no accidents any longer in the crate but what can I do about the house? Also since we brought him home he has had the "poops" took him to the vet and they gave me some medicine for it but it continues.
The vet said he needs to gain some weight. he is at 55lbs. any suggestions on any of this?
thank you!
[notify]
Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '09 8:21am PST 
OK, so its sounds like the only issues you are really having are with potty training. Is it urine or poo or both? It seems that you haven't had him real long yet, and is improving slowly thanks to your diligence. I would continue with letting him out OFTEN. Make sure to have the places he has gone sanitized with odor eating chemicals so it no longer smells of his accidents. After no accidents for a while, at least a week, then I would slowly extend the amount of time in between trips out.

As for weight gain, is he free fed or measure fed? What is he eating? These can affect not only the weight, but the need to go out. He may have poo issues from the wrong food for him too. (such as many many boxers are allergic to foods. Chicken is a high allergen to us that is many of the dog foods out there) I would look into the foods forums and see where your food rates, adn see what adjustments can be made to help his tummy.
[notify]
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '09 8:48am PST 
Wow Griffin, we could be brothers! bol!

Chewie is very quiet and never whined to be let out and his signal to potty was VERY subtle, so we did a few things.

We taught the "go potty" command and when he does always makes sure to give him a treat (this will also help add to his food intake).
Also we taught Chewie to ring a bell to go out. First we taught the "touch" command, then for about 2 weeks before we went outside we'd say "let's go potty" then ring the bell. Then we taught him to "touch" the bell before going out and now he does it ALL the time, even when he doesn't really need to potty.! bol!

big laugh But it's still effective and he hasn't had an accident since.
[notify]