GO!

what kind of crate do you have???

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Susie Q

mischievious one

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 4:14pm PST 
My mom was wondering what kind of crate should she get? shrug I am not sure which one would be better, The wire ones or the plastic kind?shrug I don't want anything but we had to because of our living arrangements and we just don't know what to do???
Thanks in advance..blue dog
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '09 11:38pm PST 
we have just about every variety... we have a 2 wire ones, a plastic one, and one from Petco that's like a dog house complete with shutters on the windows and a door... The wire crates are the simplest and allow for easy breakdown and transport and also allow air to circulate better. But, Xena sleeps in the plastic one and she does just fine in it. Max and the Shih Tzu Fred have the wire crates, and Sam is currently sleeping in the dog house (which was originally bought for Max, but since Max is the biggest, we gave him the large wire crate so he has more room... )

edited to add: the reason we say the wire ones are best for transport is because they fold flat... While you can take apart the plastic ones, they don't fold flat. The doghouse is a nightmare to move. It has to be completely taken apart and reconstructed...

Edited by author Mon Mar 2, '09 11:40pm PST

[notify]
♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 7:58am PST 
Hi Susie -
I guess if you had a choice you could let the dogs choose. Most of my Boxer's hate the plastic crate. They do the whole cat played leg thing when you try and get them to go in.
On the other hand they love the wire crates. They will often nap in them instead of on the couch or on the dog beds around the house. I believe its because its their own space but they can see and smell everything going on around the house.
We use the large to extra large size for our dogs thnat range from 45lbs to 90 lbs.
I prefer the metal crates because not only do they fold down for storage and travel which is awesome but they seem sturdier as well. We use zip ties on them when we know a dog is apt to try and get loose which makes them almost escape proof. Versus the plastic which can be chewed through! The wire can be bent and I have seen them break the wire bars so it does depend on your dogs.
You can find them used a lot on craiglist.
[notify]

Gwydion

Boxer Gentleman

Barked: Tue Mar 3, '09 10:00pm PST 
We like the wire crates for in the house. It seems easier on our nerves to be able to see out, and we love our rooms! Its our safe zone. If scared or in trouble, we go running to our rooms! cloud 9
[notify]