GO!

Wavy Coated Border Collies

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Strider

I LOVE RAW FOOD!

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 4:18pm PST 
We adopted a border collies who is tri color and has a wavy coat? Is it normal for border collies to have a wavy coat, I mean I know most border collies have straight coats or is that just a thing that happened by chance?
[notify]
Tessy

It's not me,i- didn't do it!

Barked: Thu Oct 9, '08 4:57am PST 
Hellowave
I have a wavy coat and i'm purebreed.All the dogs on my father's side of the familly have wavy coats ,it's normal bc can be short or long hair,straing or wavy,thin or thick coated.If you want to see more exemple go to www.colliecorner.com
I hope i was some help.
Byebig grin
[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Mon Dec 8, '08 4:05pm PST 
Jackson is a purebred tri-color border collie and has a wavy coat. His brown/tan coloring is rich carmel. Does your puppy have different color eyes? Jackson has one blue and one brown. If I had a dime for every time I was asked if he could see out of the blue eye, or he can't be a border collie because border collies are only black and white, I'd be rich!
[notify]

Tessy

It's not me,i- didn't do it!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 12:41pm PST 
You're right Jacksonbig grin,so many humans don't know that we can look so many different way and still be 100% Border Collie.
[notify]
Jackson

Christmas Eve- Baby

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 2:14pm PST 
I really enjoyed looking at the colliecorner.com site you recommended above, Tessy. Oh, we Border Collies are the most beautiful and striking group, and not to brag......we also have the edge on smarts too! I tell my little sister, Clementine, that every day. Clemmie's only got a smidgen of Border Collie, but she's still a pretty good little sister.
[notify]
Misty

Misty "Moo Cow"

Barked: Thu Jan 15, '09 5:00pm PST 
Not all BC's have a smooth coat. If you go on this site and look up info on BC's they state there are two different coats. Smooth and coarse. But I think there's also a wavy! So in all there's at least 3! lol My Misty is silky and wavy! She's just BEAUTIFUL! If I do say so myself! LOL But I have a girlfriend's who BC (which is a Black & white one, too) is straight hair, but feels coarser than Misty's. She also has a red and white, and his hair is just like Misty's. Soft, silky and wavy! So, it depends. But there are different types of hair texture. When Misty was a puppy her hair was straight and smooth. Check out my pics, you can see a little bit of what I'm talking about. Either way...BC's are beautiful dogs! Enjoy! smile
[notify]
Mandy

Sweetheart

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '09 11:17am PST 
My girl's red and white coat gets wavier with each year (she's 8). After a bath, it's downright curly.
[notify]
Beauregard

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Mon Feb 2, '09 10:00am PST 
Beauregards coat is also wavy. His dad had a long straight coat and his mother was a smooth coat. When I got him at four months he looked smooth coated with some minor feathering. By the time he was 6 months old it had began to get some length to it and some definite waving. And it's only getting wavier as he gets older. It doesn't look that wavy in his newer pics, but only because my groomer pulled it straight while drying him. He doesn't much care for the wave look big grin
[notify]
Sweet Pea

Thats mine!

Barked: Sun Feb 8, '09 9:15pm PST 
sweet pea has a partial wavy coat. just the fur on her back is wavy. everything else is mostly straight
[notify]
Irena Ted

Got Sheep?

Barked: Fri Mar 6, '09 6:01am PST 
There's three coat types that you might see in a Border Collie.

Smooth, which doesn't mean the hair lays flat, but rather that it's slick like a lab. No feathering on the ears is a good clue, and also look at the back of the front legs. This type of coat is dominant, which means if the dog has one (of two) genes for the coat, he or she will be smooth.

Rough. Almost any other type of coat. The hair may be anything from just a very tiny bit of feathering, up to the dripping coat of the conformation type dogs. This coat is recessive, which means the dog has to have TWO genes for this coat, for it to "express." But that also means that if both parents are rough coated, they will not be smooth coated (because there won't be any smooth genes to pass on).

Bearded. Yes, the Border Collie has bearded genetics in it still (Rough, Smooth, Bearded, and Border Collies were all the same breed only 125 years ago). There's only a couple of pockets of beardie-type lines left, and they are mostly overseas.

I have a good friend with a dog that goes back to one of these lines and he looks almost like a pure Beardie - except there is NO Beardie in the immediate pedigree. I have a picture of this dog working sheep if anyone's interested. He is fully registered in the ABCA. He was AKC registered too but they threw him out - based entirely on his looks. >frown

I have another friend who has a dog whose grandmother is noted to be a "bearded coat" even though her lines are registered Border Collies. My friend's dog herself is actually a smooth coat, but very wavy. Both smooth and rough coated dogs can have wavy coats, which can vary from just a little wave, up to a tight curl like it's been permed.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2