GO!

Aussie mix getting over-aroused with exercise

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tonka

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 4:29pm PST 
No matter what I do for exercise with my 1 1/2 yr old aussie mix, his arousal levels get out of control. This affects me, because he starts jumping and biting at me, and affects my other smaller dog, because he starts jumping on her and biting at her. He also gets more reactive than usual to people and things he is uncomfortable with.
Anyone have an Aussie with a similar issue?
[notify]
Grady

Disc Dogs rock!

Barked: Tue Mar 6, '12 1:02pm PST 
Start with having only one dog at a time out training and make sure your level of excitement is extremely low. Try throwing a ball. If your dog jumps on you or gets overly excited stop and turn your back on the dog. When the energy level lowers then start throwing again. This tells the dog that to get the ball thrown they have to be calm near the trainer. Use treats to get the dog to return the ball drop it near you and then either sit or lay to get the next throw. If the energy level spikes stop whats going on and let it cool off then restart. Having multiple dogs chasing a ball usually ends in a disaster and could dogs being injured. Since Aussies are herding dogs quick movements by small objects puts them in the herding mode recognizing that and calming the situation will help with some of the problems you describe.

Edited by author Tue Mar 6, '12 1:04pm PST

[notify]