GO!

What kind of "work" should I give my Aussie?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Feb 17, '12 12:37pm PST 
help! My Aussie is bored and destructive. I don't know what to do for her. Toys aren't enough, exercise and having a nice yard to run aren't either. I also have a pug who she torments. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated I'm getting to the point were I might have to let her go but I don't want to give up on her.
[notify]
Tonka

Barked: Sat Feb 18, '12 1:32pm PST 
I'm having the same issue with mine. He gets an hour of off-leash time on a walking path or 5-8 hours at doggy daycare almost every day. In between I do some nose games, obedience, etc. He pretty much needs 2 hours of active time every morning, then 2 hours of rest, then 2 hours of active time, etc until about 7 pm. Hard to do that when I work full time.
And, he majorly harasses my 10 lb chihuahua. Luckily she usually gives it back, but I am concerned that he is going to really hurt her someday.
[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Sun Feb 19, '12 3:18pm PST 
Dogs don't do very good jobs of entertaining themselves, even if they have large yards to run through.

How long is the dog out each day? Try getting out for at least two hours a day and watch the majority of your problems melt away. Hiking is a fantastic way to drain energy and have a great time while doing so. If you can let the dog safely off leash then all the better.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Feb 27, '12 9:02am PST 
I have a two year old Aussie she is great I am also disabled so she opens draws, cuboards , doors, takes my laundry to the washer and many other things that I taught her to do. Aussie's are easy to train and very willing to learn it doesn't take long for her to pick up new tricks. I stared looking online and bought a trick book and started there. Two to three five min sessions a day and she is so happy to help me even if it is opening the refridgerate or pulling laundry in a basket from one room to another. She is much calmer now she is doing things.
[notify]