GO!

Stubborn 8 week aussie

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 7:28am PST 
My wife and I have a 8 week old aussie. We started kennel training her at about 6 weeks and walking on a leash as well. She did very good when we started out but she is becoming very resistive.shrug
She loves to play but becomes resistive to commands when we try to train her such as sleeping in her kennel(she wants to sleep right outside of it). We put her food in her kennel to let her know its a "happy place", but she brings it outside to chew it.
She has to go relive herself outside but when we take her out she sits and wont move.(I try not to drag her but when I nudge her my way she starts backing out in the other direction).
She is a very smart puppy but she chooses not to mind.
Do puppies grow out of this stubborn stage so we can begin a training regemin? If so...when?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Feb 16, '12 8:24am PST 
Also..she doesnt like to be held unless she is absolutely worn out...

is this normal. We are first time aussie owners but we've had mixed aussie/collie mixes before.
[notify]
Jager

Barked: Mon Apr 9, '12 4:11pm PST 
I just Picked up my blue merle male on the 5th and he's been great took right away to crate training and hasn't messed in the house once.. I did notice that he doesn't like be held for an extended period of time.. I'm a first time Aussie Owner and long time trainer...Currently working with several Aussie pups and none of them like to be picked up for very long, they have lots of love to give just don't prefer to be picked up while giving it. As far as the stubborness goes I think that varies with the personality, my little guy can be like that too but I've only had him 5 days and he's already crate trained, walking on a leash, learned how to sit and lie down. these dogs are incredibly smart...
[notify]

Zora

Zora - Wonderdog

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 3:37pm PST 
Our Zora hates being held and always has.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 9:46am PST 
Have you ever thought of clicker training. Kikopup on youtube has a multitude of videos to help with reversing such behaviors.
[notify]