Need advice on buying a pup. Shady scenerio?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!


Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 6:38am PST 
I don't know much about how AKC registration and selling puppies works, so I have decided to try get some input from other people about a situation that I am in.

I have been looking to buy a puppy recently, and have fallin in love with the Australian Shepherd breed. I looked online and through classifieds, and I came across an add that said there were 2 puppies left out of a litter and they are selling for $100 without registration papers, but $400 with the papers. The pups are 9 weeks old. I have seen pictures of the supposed pups and the rest of the litter. The mother and father are pictured on the website as well. The rest of the pups in the litter were apparently sold with papers at the higher value.
Now like I said, I don't know anything about breeding or registering puppies; I am just trying to understand if this is possible. I didn't know the breeder had a choice to register some of the pups and not the others. The breeder also informed me that the puppy will be UTD on shots as well as come with a health guarantee allowing me to take the puppy to my vet within 48 hours and have her checked out. If it is a life or death situation, then I will be able to either exchange the pup or get my money back. I don't see how the breeder can profit from $100 if they have gotten the puppy wormed, UTD, and also the tail was cut off by her vet as well. I would be going pick up the pup instead of having it mailed, so I am not worried about that scam. I could very well be wondering these questions for nothing because, like I said, I don't know anything about breeding. I just wanted to get some advice from other breeders or people who were maybe in this situation.

Chunky Monkey
Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 2:49pm PST 
Hi Kahlua... congratulations on your decision to adopt an Aussie. You will not be disappointed. Perhaps exhausted at times with their level energy and smarts, yet never disappointed.

I am not too sure if this is a good situation... I have heard that you should never have to pay extra for certification. And I do agree that $100 sounds to good to be true for all the care a puppy needs in their first weeks of life. However I could be wrong.

My suggestion would be to post this question in the "Choosing the Right Dog" forum. It might get some more attention from someone that knows more about breeders there.

I wish you all the luck in the world with your new puppy!!


Barked: Sat Jun 20, '09 4:12pm PST 
Thank you very much for the advice! I have posted on that forum as well! She said she sold the dam and sire last week, so it may sound like she is trying to get rid of them and since she cannot find a buyer, she has lowered the price and just isn't going to register them. I saw where she posted numerous ads over a period of 20 days dropping the price from 200 to 150 and then down to 100. If I meet up with her and decide to get the pup, I will make sure I have that health contract as well as a money order instead of plain cash.

Cody- Alexander

live ur life you- may not be there- tomaro
Barked: Mon Jun 29, '09 12:18am PST 
not to bring u down on buying the puppy but i got my aussie named cody from a breeder of whitch the conditions were the same 2 males left out of litter the breeder wanted to get homes for them they were 150 im not the best on picking a puppy i mean im 16 but i got cody a mostly solid red and my step mother got the last a red with much tan. tails docked and all well cody actualy was born without the tail they had the papers but were not registred and my puppy is now 2 years old and has has many illness in his short life he actualy contracted parvovirus shortl;y after birth but it didnt start showing till he was about 4 months old. he did survive it luckly but now he has hip displasia. and hes rapidly becomeing deaf. i love him to death and would never trade him but his life expectancy even on a great diet has been reduced majorly the vets give him mabey 5 more years id recomend you tri another breeder or perhapse a rescue if you have not already gotten the puppy.it could possibly save you the heartach of your puppy being at a vet fighting for his or her life against parvo. so please im not the smartest on the breeding technique but i think you would be better off finding a breeder or rescue that youd trust better.