GO!

Any good 'brain games' you play with your Aussie?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Sat Oct 25, '08 10:46pm PST 
We all know how important it is to keep those giant Aussie brains working, please share your favorites!
[notify]
Rusty

R.I.P dear Raja

Barked: Sun Oct 26, '08 10:26pm PST 
Well, we've only had Rusty for 5 months, but one's we've played so far are the treat ball game!!snoopysnoopy
We have a little treat ball, and we put treats in it. Rusty loves trying to get the treats out!snoopysnoopy
[notify]
Thomas Jacob- Madsen

Daddy is that- you?

Barked: Thu Nov 6, '08 11:48am PST 
treat balls are a great way to work the mind. we were doing s&r work with tommy until he got really bad ticks and we had to shave him. now we train for long distance frisbee but still play hide and seek in the house which is a BLAST for him.
[notify]

Baron

I'm sorry was- that YOUR sock?

Barked: Fri Nov 7, '08 3:05pm PST 
Ive been working on the frisbee with Baron and Im starting to get a lil discouraged. He undestands the concept and hell will actually go for it once or twice but after that hes kinda over it. Ive done all that I can really think of to get him into it. I hold the frisbee up in the air and let him jump up and catch it and he gets that with out a problem, just seems that he doesnt always wanna go for it when I throw it. Ive tried treats and he went for that at first to but then after a couple tosses it was over. The thing is he gets all excited about the frisbee itself, until I actually throw it, sometimes hell just watch it go and other times hell take a few steps, waits till it falls then goes and gets it. Anyone got any pointers?
[notify]
Izzie

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 2:52pm PST 
Baron, we have the same issue. Izzie get pretty into the frisbee or ball in the house, but when we go outside, she loses interest. I know that would be a great way to exercise her, but I guess there are just too many other sites & sounds around? I'm thinking that, with age, the interest might increase. Last weekend while we were at the dog park Izzie started messing with a frisbee that was on the ground, so I'm not losing hope yet. Maybe the same will apply to your guy.
[notify]
Baron

I'm sorry was- that YOUR sock?

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 4:33pm PST 
I sure hope thats the case. That tends to be his problem too. Once hes outside theres apparently just way too much other cool stuff to see. His sister isnt too into the frisbee either but I didnt expect her to be. Shes a beagle mix so she spends most her time outside nose to the ground sniffin, and when shes not doin that shes usually playing with Baron. I hope I can get him into it though.
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 8:36pm PST 
Mia's just started to enjoy the frisbee, she hasn't figured out that she's supposed to bring it BACK however.
She has the opposite problem...at the dog park all she's interested in is the ball, she'll exchange butt sniffs with other dogs if they come up to her...but other than that her eyes are on the ball.
[notify]
Basia

the fetch is- strong in this- one

Barked: Sun Nov 16, '08 12:17pm PST 
Are you all using "soft-bite" frisbies? I find them to be the best overall. They don't have the long range of the plastic ones, but once the plastic ones get used and chewed a bit they can cut your pups gums. They are nice and bright, float, "hang" in the air a bit longer, and make a more exciting noise when caught. Avoid the cheaper "floppy-flyer" sold at Wal-Mart and discount stores. The right ones are bink with green borders. Try not to leave them in the sun or they will fade.

The brain game I play is "leave it" where I have Basia heel, I toss the frisbie, and then have her fetch it. In doors we play fetch with a tennis ball, and then I hide it somewhere in the house. The strong odor makes them easy to find, so after some practice you can start hiding them between cushions and on bookshelves. Not next to fragile collectables though. wink
[notify]
Kilkenny's- Saint Samson

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 12:06am PST 
My pup has the idea of going after the ball or object. Catching, retrieving, and bringing it back, however, is not something he has the slightest interest in. Any tips? lol

And how, oh how do you hide the object in the house? Samson wants to be with me all the time when I'm home that I can never get away from him long enough to hide anything! lol We're working on stay, but it's just not clicking...
[notify]
Yub-Yub!

Barked: Tue Nov 18, '08 11:03am PST 
I worked with my Yub(1 yr old) on waiting/staying using the stairs, cause he'd always nearly take us out on the stairs cause he'd barrel down or up while we were still on them. I've got a no pull harness for him so I put it on with the leash and when I took a step on the stairs and he lunged forward to go up I gave a quick correction with a sharp "Wait!" and brought him back down to the floor. he picked it up really fast cause he kept getting frustrated that we kept going back down to the floor. after he was able to wait at the bottom or top of the stairs (I still tell him "wait" when I'm about to go down/up) I worked with him at the door, waiting till I was inside or outside before he came out. now I can tell him wait anywhere at the house and he sits, sometimes impatiently, and waits for me to call him.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3