GO!

Question about coats?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Bailey Boo

Barked: Sat Jan 19, '08 9:06pm PST 
Do some aussies keep short coats? Bailey is almost 8 months old now, and I keep expecting for her coat to get that long pretty look, but hers is fairly short and has a wavy texture to it. Do you think she will keep this one?
[notify]
Chase CGC

It's Mine I Tell- Ya! Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Sun Jan 20, '08 3:31pm PST 
Chase's is the same way... I think as they get older it will get longer and straighter.

For a while Chase's hair on his back would curl up and kind of stick up (hard to explain) but now his longer coat is coming in and the curls are going straight.

BUT I have seen some Aussies with a more of a wavy coat then a straight one!
[notify]
MIHKOA -goodbye friends-

FANTASTIC!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '08 9:54am PST 
my sister spirit has a shorter soft coat, and she's all aussie.... she's a blue merle. hers is no where near as long or dense as mine... but the older you get the more ya tend to fill out in the feathers and stuff
[notify]

Maggie CTL1 RE CGC

Bar Hoppin'

Barked: Tue Jan 22, '08 1:14am PST 
Maggie's butt feathers look better all the time - they are finally filling in. Around her chest and neck she is fairly short furred (there is the spay hair which I just trim to a normal length), plus all the skin issues that Maggie had for so long kept the fur from growing in well (I can see pink skin through the white). I got a great picture of Maggie in the snow where she looks like she is full coated...but that picture is all camera tricks! You also look furrier than me Bailey!

But females generally don't have that big puffy Aussie coat - that is a male thing...also the fact that Aussies seem to be divided into working and conformation seems to be another factor into coat. The conformation Aussies are bred to be bigger and have super fluffy coats (I cannot imagine all that undercoat) with less need to exercise 24/7- while the working Aussies are a little smaller and their coat isn't as full and they are easier to maintain coat wise and can run for 8 hours out of the day and still have energy when you try to go to bed.

ETA: Bailey...weren't you having skin issues as well? That may be part of the problem....plus you are still young, there is hope for you in the future to fill out with beautiful Aussie fur to get all over the human stuff!

Edited by author Tue Jan 22, '08 1:15am PST

[notify]
Bailey Boo

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '08 12:23pm PST 
We were having skin issues...which thank God seem to be getting better. She has some rough patches in the back, that are slowly filling in. Even before the skin problem she still had a shorter coat, and the front of her is that way despite the fact that she really hasn't had trouble up there.

I think maybe she will keep shorter fur. She is still gorgeous to me! smile
[notify]
Ember

Throw it....

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '08 10:09pm PST 
She looks like a normal Aussie to me. I have a Red Aussie and she has long fur, but it isn't poofy like some of the Aussies at my work are. I have seen some 2 yr old Aussies with short fur, so she might keep her short fur.
Good luck with the skin condition!
[notify]
Bocephus

I'm a mommas boy

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '08 5:07pm PST 
My nickname is Flufferbutt because my butt hairs are very fluffy! My manly chest hair is also very fluffy. My back hair is a mohawk thanks to my great cowlick. My mommy was going to get me shaved in the summer cause I'm hot all the time, but my coat keeps me cool in the summer and warm in the winter big grin

I have dry skin, but mom uses some conditioning shampoo to help it!

Edited by author Fri Feb 22, '08 5:12pm PST

[notify]
Joey

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '08 5:07pm PST 
Joey is a little over a year now and is starting to fill out a little. Regardless of what happens, they are very handsome looking animals.

Edited by author Sat Mar 8, '08 5:08pm PST

[notify]
Joey

Barked: Sat Mar 8, '08 5:08pm PST 
Joey is a little over a year now and is starting to fell out a little. Regardless of what happens, they are very handsome looking animals.
[notify]
Sully &- Socks Our- Angel

Barked: Thu Mar 13, '08 7:56am PST 
Sully is a male Aussie and has pretty long fur that's wavy along his back. When we first got him home, his coat was kind of coarse feeling and he spent a lot of time digging at himself because he was "itchy". We found a great product call "Synovi G3" Soft Chews (available at EntirelyPets.com for about half the price you'd pay at a vets office). It's $28 for a tub of 120. We started him on two a day for the first 4-6 weeks as recommended. Now, we give him one a day for maintenance and his coat has become very soft and silky. He loves them (we break them in have so he thinks he's getting 2 treats at one time). Highly recommended (contains Glucosamine, MSM, Creatine Monohydrate, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals). Excellent for treating injuries, hip problems as well as conditioning the dog's coat and skin). He's a much happier pup since taking the Synovi G3 snoopy!
[notify]