GO!

Drooling and unbalanced front legs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Oct 1, '13 7:17pm PST 
Hi everyone, I have a 6 month american akita. He drools a lot and he pants a lot even when he is indoors. We brought him to a vet and I was told he drools and pants when he is too hot/excited. The drooling is excessive and when I play with him, he can just wipe his face in my arm and my arm will be covered with drool. I was just wondering is this normal? Will he drool less as he develops adult teeth?

The vet also noticed that on his front left leg, the gap between the two bones is smaller and not normal. As a result, when he walks or runs, you can notice him being slightly slanted because the front left leg is longer because of the smaller bone gap. I was wondering if anyone else ever had this case and if anyone see any issues from this? The vet told me he will adjust himself when he grows older and there is nothing to worry about. Since this is a genetic condition involving the bone, I don't know what kind of treatments I can give him, maybe some stretching exercises or training that will develop his leg muscles would help? Feel free to chime in.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 11:42am PST 
This is absolutely not normal,you need a consult with an orthopedic vet and a neurologist to rule out anything really serious. At 6 months your puppy actually has quite a few of his adult teeth. Good luck and keep us posted please.
[notify]