GO!

Akita Breeders, Quality & Price ?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Mon Feb 18, '13 6:24pm PST 
Hello, I'm looking at possibly buying a Akita puppy. We've had two boxers and loved them both, but I'm now thinking of getting a different breed.

I would appreciate any aid in contacting a well qualified breeder and high quality AKC registered Akita's. Although we want quality, we just don't want to spend high dollars for one. Maybe,....up to $800.

What are some average prices ?

Thank you,
Kevin
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 5:30am PST 
Typically a responsible breeder of Akita's charges from $800. up. what is far more important in finding a good Akita breeder is how they deal with you. No reputable breeder is simply going to tell you that they have puppies available and let you pick one. They are going to want to know about you,your lifestyle,experience with dogs,ask for references including from your vet, and check them. Their breeding stock will have had tests for genetic illnesses that can be passed on and are common to the breed and be found free of them before breeding,temperment tested, healthy,and socialized,they will also be able to find a pup from their litter(s) that best matches your needs and personality,they will also not be afraid to tell you if they feel you are the wrong type of person for the breed and why. They will not put a pup that they have invested literally thousands of dollars into producing knowingly into the hands of someone who is not right for the breed to do so is not just a bad thing for you and that puppy but for the breed in general as well. Akitas can be wonderful and amazing dogs but take alot of work,effort and dedication as well and not everyone is up for it. An experienced,caring and reputable breeder will be able to recognize that and guide you,if you are the right type of person,they will also be your greatest ally and help you with everything you can imagine. Please buy from someone who is interested in more than just taking your money. A good place to start is the AKC Akita Club for your area. Good Luck in finding what you are looking for.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 3:49pm PST 
I agree with all you've mentioned, the same goes for our Cockatoo bird breeder/rescue. They came to inspect our home for safety and cleanliness etc. We respected them for caring so much for their birds. We were accepted as good parents and adopted our Eleanora Cockatoo we named, "Shelby".

We've had two Boxers, so we're up for the challenge. laugh out loud
[notify]