GO!

Potential Akita Adoption

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 8:17am PST 
I am new to this site and found it while doing research on Akitas as I have never owned one much less know anything about them. This may be long so please bear with me. While at the local shelter we saw a white Akita with a black face that was left at the overnight cage so do not know if the owner brought her there or she got away and someone saw her and brought her to the kennel. After the 7 day waiting period she was never claimed. From the second we saw her she started wagging her tail and came right up to us and tried to lick us through the gate. We asked to take her out for a walk and she was such a joy. She immediatly went potty and we took her to the trail and sat on a bench. All she wanted to do was try to sit on my lap and lick and she especially loves the kids (boy 7 and girl 6) We have gone back 5 more times and took her out and she seems to love everyone she comes accross. If she sees another dog she just looks at it but that is it even though the other dog is barking like crazy. We would like to take the Akita home but after reading alot about them I have a few questions. I forgot to mention the Akita is 9 months old (female). We have a jack russell (female) that is 3 years old and I read Akita's do not get along well with dogs of the same sex and also that the jack russell is small. Are all Akita's this way and how would I know if there may be an issue? The Akita is still a puppy (9 months) so it may be fine now but could it change later? Since the Akita wagged its tail immediatly and has shown no agression is that a good sign that she was taken care of? We took her to the play pen and she loves to chase balls and sticks. Problem is she won't bring it back. She also tends to ignore me at times if I call her and at times will come running. We would love to take this dog home and get her the proper training but just a little concerned about the agressiveness that I have read. I have always owned labs and goldens so this will new for me but we seem to bonded instantly with her the second we took her out. All of our dogs have been rescued from the kennels that we have owned and have had great sucess. The Akita is very healthy and looks like it was very well taken care of which makes me think she got away from the owner and was not claimed. Also, she goes potty the second we take her out which leads me to believe she may be potty trained. Sorry for the long story.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 12:01pm PST 
The same sax agression is unfortunately true in most cases but will often not develop until as late as age 3-5 though typically at around a year and a half you will see signs. Akita's even as puppies can be a bit stubborn and willful,that is why alot of people give them up,they will often even if they know their commands perfectly,decide to listen when they are ready,not necessarily when you ask. I personally would not trust an Akita female alone with a female of another breed unless you can separate them with at least a door between them when you are not there to supervise. Akitas are wonderful with their families,adore children,but can be territorial and protective,they are not usually agressive or vicious. Please read some of the other threads in this forum where I and other experienced owners have explained what to expect realistically from an Akita. A good one is getting an Akita one or two questions where Lobo's person and I covered pretty well what to expect. Also if at all possible p-mail me and I will be happy to help.
Pam (Mika&Kai's person)
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 4:00pm PST 
Thanks for the reply. We took Jackie (jack Russell) to meet the Akita and Jackie wanted nothing to do with the Akita. The Akita was egar to play but Jackie kept turning her back. When the Akita got too close Jackie would snap then walk away. Basically saying to stay out of my space. This is the first time though that Jackie did not growl or bark at another dog and after a while she calmed down but still would have nothing to do with the Akita. The Akita was ready to play and whined when we kept her back but never growled or barked. I do not now what the Akita would have done though to play.
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '12 7:29pm PST 
My female likes to play pretty rough,she has a little pug pal she plays with who can give as good as he gets,and if he stops or she happens to get to rough he will yelp,and she will stop until he lets her know he is ready for more. My male on the other hand,likes toys more or just quiet companionship while he explores and sniffs,my sister has a little beagle female he just adores and they will run around her "doggy park" then lay quietly beside each other with something to chew while the other 2 are off roughousing.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 4:16am PST 
The Akita is 9 months to a year old based on the vet. The Akita does not seem to know any simple commands. Will she be hard to train at this age? All the dogs I have had have been caged trained and would like to have this one caged trained as well. Will this be difficult?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 5:10am PST 
Learning simple commands should not be very difficult. You will have to find out what motivates her,for mine it was food. I used small pieces of baked chicken or all beef hotdogs with no fillers. Akitas must have soy,corn,&wheat free food,they are all common allergens. I have never crate trained mine because every attempt was met with the result that they urinated/defecated in the crate then laid in it crying like we were killing them. Akitas bond very tightly to their people,one more so than others but are respectful of any they live with. If you crate it is recommended that you do it in a way that she can always be near her people,even if it means having 2 crates. Other than that have patience,be consistent,be firm and be fair. Hope this helps.smile
[notify]

Barked: Tue Jul 17, '12 5:56am PST 
Thanks for the quick responses. We do not normally put our dog in the crate unless we are leaving. Our dog sleeps in her crate as well but that is by her choice. I would not know what the Alita would do if we left for a couple hours and she was left out of a crate. Especially with a small dog in the house.

What dog food do you use?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 5:23am PST 
Hopefully someone on the regular forums can help with crate training,ours never took to it,we were far more sucessful with tethering them to us,then allowing them loose in our room,they learned that our bedroom was the den and never soiled there. As far as food we use Blue Buffalo Wilderness. If that does not agree with your girl there ar many grain free foods to choose from,do remember that some looseness or diarrhea are normal during the transition from one food to another and plan to expect it. Once housebroken,separate rooms should be fine. I hope your plan to raise two females together works,I know it has been done sucessfully,I just wasn't brave enough to risk it with such large powerful dogs.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 6:47am PST 
I took a few pictures of her at the kennel but am unable to post or send you a message. May be since I am new. I was wanting someone to look at the pics and tell me if she looks full or a mixed breed.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jul 18, '12 9:25am PST 
I am guessing that you have a guest membership only. If you actually start a page with your other dog,you can post one pic of her on your other pets page,then using that pic,start her a page of her own and just remove it if you decide not to adopt.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2