GO!

Losing fur on ears.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 6:49pm PST 
Besides the Purina Pro Plan what have you tried her on,and what reaction did she have? How did you go about switching food? You seem to really care and want to do right by your little one,so I will try to help if I can. Is there antother clinic near you that might be cheaper? I don't know much about the Banfield Clinics at Petco because ours does not have one. I actually drive 30 miles one way to see the vet we use because he is much more affordable,knows as much or more about Akitas than I do,and was the one who saved my Mattie from being euthanized at only 8 months because of taking the time to do the appropriate testing. How old are you? Is there any type of job you could do to get the money for the skin scrape yourself? I am more than happy to try to work with you to do the best for your puppy because you really seem to want to do that. If you can p-mail me and we'll see what we can come up with,if not post here and I will try to help as much as I can. M&K's mom,Pam
[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 4:44pm PST 
Lobo has an autoimmune disorder(at least, that's the Western-medicine term for it; my Hollistic vet described him as being a "hot" and "wet" dog; if you're interested, just ask) and it started with him losing fur around his eyes. Are the puppy's ears dry, or are they kind of wet?

I have a Hollistic vet, and although there are - unfortunately - a lot of Hollistic vets who are expensive, thankfully, mine is quite cheap.

Lobo is fed the prey-model raw diet, and that has also helped his issues, but if it's something you're unwilling to learn about, just do a search on Dog Food Analysis to find a good, high-quality food.

My grandparents' dog, Poppy, is fed Taste of the Wild, and he's doing amazing on that, and really loves it.

If you do decide to feed kibble, I recommend also including a little bit of wet food. This is to not only make the food more enticing, it also makes it so she can get as much liquid as possible. Poppy doesn't drink a lot of water, but he's extremely active, so we've had to include some canned Taste of the Wild along wit the kibble to make sure he doesn't dehydrate. Lobo's food, raw, includes plenty of water in it, too.

Also, I have to say, don't always listen to just ONE vet. You should get multiple different opinions. I dropped my old vet as soon as she tried to blame all of the dogs' problems on the raw meat that they eat. It took me a while to find Trisha Ballard, the Hollistic vet that Lobo now sees, but it was SO worth it

Edited by author Sun Jul 8, '12 4:45pm PST

[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Sun Jul 8, '12 4:45pm PST 
(um... it's not posting my whole post, so I'm continuing here)

She's very intelligent and caring. ^^ But even so, if there was ever something serious with Lobo(again) I wouldn't just listen to her. I'd try to get opinions from others, as well.

I don't want to seem... well, I don't know what I'd seem like, but I do want to point out that it's possible she's having an allergic reaction to the vaccinations. It's unfortunately common, as the vaccines are quite literally poison that's being injected.

I talked a lot. laugh out loud If you want any explanations on anything I said, just ask.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2