GO!

Akita pigment changing color from black --> pink --> black

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Mon Feb 20, '12 10:34pm PST 
4 months ago, my Akitas nose, corner of eyes, and mouth started changing from pink to black

We were concerned about autoimmune disease: namely VKH and were supposed to go get a skin biopsy to diagnose it

However, a month ago, they started reversing back to black again and we did not bother. Once again, his pigment is going back to pink. From what I understand, autoimmune disorders involving Vitilligo/loss of pigment are permanent. Anyone have this happen with their Akitas due to allergies or some other reversible cause.

Thanks

Edited by author Mon Feb 20, '12 10:39pm PST

[notify]
Lobo

"Stubborn" dogs- don't need- corrections

Barked: Tue Feb 21, '12 9:27pm PST 
Lobo has an immune disorder known as Pemphigus Foliaceus. It's actually common in Akitas. Not "common" in the sense that it's seen in /many/ Akitas, but in the sense that, if your dog has it, your dog is more than likely an Akita or has Akita in him.

Lobo's on medication for it, but it is a lifelong thing that he will always struggle with. Always.

From what I know of it, it looks different for every dog, but typically attacks the facial area, the paws, and the "personal" places.

Take him to the vet and check it out. Most immune disorders are fatal if not treated. Pemphigus Foliaceus is also fatal if not treated and medicated.
[notify]