GO!

Advice needed please!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Dec 15, '11 1:35pm PST 
Hi,my husband and I are adopting a Japanese Akita named Tia on saturday. She is 3 years old and we have met her a few times now,she seems to have a lovely temperment,having been bought up around 4 young children and cats. Tia is very well behaved and gentle.
However,does anybody have any advice on how to help her adapt to her new home and us as her new owners?Has anyone ever had any problems in the same situation as us?We are planning to take her on a long walk after she first arrives so that she will have used up any nervous energy and be calm in her new environment,is this a good idea?
Sorry for the novel,any advoce is appreciated!
[notify]
Winn

Baby polar bears- aren't even this- cute!

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 2:46am PST 
Congratulations on your new addition! We just adopted Winnie in September, so I understand any anxiety you might have over bringing home a new dog, especially a rather large breed one.
I think a long walk is a good idea. It doesn't sound as if you have any other dogs, but if you do be sure to bring them along, group walks are a great bonding exercise!
Be sure that your house has been "puppyproofed" before you bring your new friend in. Nothing dangerous or valuable down low (or in an Akita's case anything below waist height), and watch those power cords in case she's a chewer.
Make sure to grab a bottle of Natures Miracle, or some other kind of enzyme cleanser, in case she has an accident (or in the case of Winn decides to mark her new home by squatting on the big dog bed 5 seconds after she was in the door!).
Enjoy your new pup! big grin
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sat Dec 17, '11 9:12pm PST 
Congratulations on your new addition. Winn gave you some very good advice. I have owned 3 Akita's,2 of which are currently with me. I brought mine all home as puppies so can't help much in the adoption front but do want to add don't rush her. Akitas even very young ones do best when you let them set the pace at first. Even after you have walked her to settle her down,which is a good idea,don't try to engage her or force affection. Give her time and let her decide when she is ready to engage you and make doing that a good thing by being gentle and offering a treat.Even with my puppies it was at least a day or two before they would seek us out and begin creating a bond. You do have to earn an Akitas trust and respect so keep up routines for potty trips,meals,playtimes and activities just don't expect alot at first.
She should be a wonderful,loving,loyal,companion in no time.

Thank-you for giving her a second chance.hughughugwishes
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 8:11pm PST 
I adopted a 3 year old Akita & when i did cats where a definite no no as where small kids,i would be weary of a Akita puppy because they do not stay small for long,i am guessing you have taken the Akita home by now please post how everything is going.I hope all is well Akita Lover In Cape Breton N.S P.S IF YOU NEED TO CONTACT ME FEEL FREE dhar.mah@hotmail,com
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 6:37am PST 
Guest,
It depends on how they were raised. For us cats would not be a good idea. Small kids however have been fine,mine have even adopted a few from the neighborhood and my grandchildren are their best pals. We got Mika when my granddaughter was 22 months,and my grandson was born just a few weeks later,she has been wonderful with both.We added Kai when the kids were 2and1/2 and 4and1/2 and have never had a worry. No dog of any breed should be left unsupervised with very young children and both children and dogs need to learn to respect each others place and space. Check out both Mika& Kai's combined page and Mika's page to see what the relationship with the kids is like.
[notify]