GO!

Wanting to get an akita but already have dogs

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Chakra ~in- loving- memory~

Kyuubi's power- source

Barked: Wed Apr 7, '10 4:54pm PST 
i reaaly want to get an akita but everyone i see is very aggressive to other dogs. at the current moment i have 5 dogs and 5 acres for them to run . i read about the breed and my dad even had an akita before. hows the best way in going at this and why are the older akita so aggressive?thinking
[notify]
Dolcenea

Akita Agility

Barked: Wed Apr 7, '10 8:10pm PST 
It’s not that Akita’s are aggressive; they just don’t like rude behavior from other dogs. Akita’s do not like other dogs getting in their face, or poking their noses in private areas. I know I don’t like when people get in my face, and I certainly wouldn’t ask my Akita to do something I don’t like myself.

Akita’s usually want to be the alpha dog, and if the human of the family group is not alpha the Akita certainly will be. Akita’s are usually the fun police, they don’t want anything getting out of control, loud, obnoxious. So if you have other dogs that can become out of control, loud or obnoxious this would not be a good environment to put an older Akita into.
Deb
[notify]
Kadan

Roo!

Barked: Tue Sep 14, '10 7:46pm PST 
Aggressiveness is a sign of being poorly bred, trained and socialized. There are many well-bred Akitas who get along perfectly with other dogs, animals and people.
[notify]