GO!

is Benadryl for Thunderstorm fears Safe??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Scraps

Play with me!!!

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 11:42am PST 
Scraps gets very nervous when it starts raining and especially when it starts thundering- he starts panting heavily, shaking uncontrollably, and pacing around the house trying to find a place to hide. He has climbed onto the dining table so scared and jumps back off, tries to hide under the kitchen sink cabinets, in the closet, in the tub... and one time, I came home from work and he had pooped on the dining table and on the stairs! (I think he just didn't know what to do he was so scared)

We have tried the DAP(dog appeasing pheromone) and it just doesn't work for him.

I have read that Benadryl is safe to give to dogs, and my Vet has told me it might help him with his anxiety from thunderstorms, but does anyone have experiences from using Benadryl to calm a dogs fears from loud noises, thunderstorms, or rain? I would just like to know more about it before giving him medicine.
[notify]
joey

I'm working on- three toys!

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 12:26pm PST 
I haven't tried Benedryl for thunderstorm anxiety, but I gave it once a day to Joey for allergies for 3 weeks. I think it's safe. Just don't be surprised if the dosage seems a bit high in relationship to a person. That's just the way it is - dogs are different I guess!
[notify]
Zoie

45 Mile Per Hour- Couch Potato

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 12:55pm PST 
I have no heard of using benadryl for anxiety but mainly for allergic reactions to foods or bites by insects. We have used a product called Calm that helped some as Zoie pants all the time when she gets in the car whether it be for a short distance or when we take her with us on long trips. We then asked the vet after the Calm did not work as well as we thought it should, so the vet gave her a mild relaxant so she can lay down and rest on long trips as she used to stand almost the entire time. We were worried she would have a heart attack and she would drool all over the back area of the SUV. It seems to work with no side or after affects. We only make long trips about three times a year and use it but if she does go with us around town we don't use it. She is really not scared of the car, she wants to go but I think it is the motion and the noises. Once she gets out of the car she is fine. As for thunder storms we go to the basement family room, turn up the TV and she seems to be okay till she has to go outside to go potty and then we just have to wait till the storm is over.

Good luck finding something that works for your baby.
[notify]

Bailey

Poo is yummy!

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 12:58pm PST 
If your vet ok'd it, then it could be worth a try. I have found that it can have an opposite effect sometimes and can make the dog more anxious. You won't know unless you try it out though.

I use it for thunderstorms for Bailey. She had a seizure from what the vet thinks was fear of the thunder during a thunderstorm a few months back. They gave us Valium to use but Bailey's reaction on it was something I wasn't happy with. I will use the Valium again if we are having extremely bad weather, but for regular storms I use benedryl. It does seem to help calm her a bit, along with letting her hide under the covers or the bed.

We will be seeing a neurologist once we get some money saved up, to see if there is anything else we can do. For now our vet has us recording any seizure activity she has.
[notify]
Peter Parker

Peace, Love &- Dachshunds

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 2:28pm PST 
Bach's Rescue Remedy is supposed to work really good and it is all natural. Other than that there are Pet Calm pet tabs at PetCo that are supposed to work really well for thunderstorms. blue dog
[notify]
Opie CGC

Luv-A-Pittie

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 5:20pm PST 
I have a friend who uses it during storms with great success. We tried it for car sickness because we were told the sickness was probably anxiety but it didn't help much.
[notify]
Kady

Born to Sniff

Barked: Thu Aug 13, '09 6:36pm PST 
I've used benedryl for thunderstorms. I have to give it to Kady as soon as I'm able to hear the thunder coming. If I wait until the storm has already hit it doesn't work. She acts like a person who has had a couple of stiff drinks - kinda of mentally circling the airport, but at least she isn't pacing, panting, drooling, whining and then throwing up.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 8:49am PST 
I don't use Benedryl for thunderstorms but I've given it to Kit for allergies. I can see how it might help, when Kit's on it it makes him extra sleepy and calm. If the vet okayed it then it might be worth a try!
[notify]
Hershey Bear

Silly old bear

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 3:51pm PST 
Ask your vet about using Melatonin. It's helped me a lot!
[notify]
Josie - CGC

California Girl

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 10:16pm PST 
Use Valerian before you reach for Benedryl.

blue dog
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2