GO!

Blowing Fur

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nanuk

Nanuk! King of- the Cuddle- Bears!!

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '07 7:01am PST 
Nanuk blows his fur from spring to fall it seems. I had someone tell me that they have their Akita shaved. What are your views on this? Plus...normal dog brushes don't seem to get the job done...I've resorted to using a human comb!
[notify]
Nanuk

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '07 3:53pm PST 
I found the answer to my own question. For blowing fur... get a horse comb! Tractor Supply has themsnoopy
[notify]
Dixie

PLAY WITH ME

Barked: Sun Jun 24, '07 8:39pm PST 
Females will blow their coat twice a year, and males once, although there are exceptions to this rule. Females will blow their coat during their heat seasons. If the female is a six month cycler, she will blow her coat every six months.
[notify]

Nanuk

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '07 3:50pm PST 
DOG! And I thought I had it bad. I guess we won't be seeing any females in the house any time soon!
[notify]
Tupper

'ssshhh, I'm- napping'

Barked: Wed Jul 4, '07 10:42am PST 
Thanks for the tip on the horse comb! I think I'm going to try to get one for Tupper. I have been using a flea comb on him.. I swear I get enough fur off of him for a whole other dog! If they made wigs out of dog hair I'd be rich!! His fur becomes a real problem in the spring/early summer for us. His fur is so thick that it comes out in clumps and clogs up my vacuum! We also have a husky and she does not shed half as bad as Tupper does!
[notify]
Bella

Hey...You wanna- dig?

Barked: Mon Jul 16, '07 4:01pm PST 
Hi Nanuk! My mommy says that I shed a few months ago...alot! I'm fine now, she got a brush from the pet store....I like it now. It has really small bristles. Maybe you could try that?wave
[notify]
Ame

Where are you- going? Can I- come, too?

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '07 8:36pm PST 
Hi there. I recently bought a FURminator from my local Red Barn. It works like a charm! I also switched my Akita to a lower protein kibble on the advice of a show dog owner. Both of those have helped tremendously.
[notify]
Willa

Willa - Shhhh I'm- hunting!

Barked: Thu Jul 26, '07 7:27pm PST 
hi there! this is what mommy and daddy figured out to do after i shed all over mommies black interior (of her car) and daddy's expensive persian rug . . . hehehe sooo funny!

to get rid of the fur mommy and daddy took me to a self-service doggy wash and used an UNDERCOAT RAKE (bamboo brand makes a good one - it's an undercoat rake and dematter all in one) while i was wet and brushed against the grain of my fur . . . it bothered me a little bit but i was glad to get rid of the undercoat. then they used the forced air dryer to dry me off. they do that at least once a week while i'm blowing my coat and then it isn't so bad!

please don't cut your hair! it is very bad for you and will actually make it more difficult for you to deal with the heat!

wags and biscuits!
willa
[notify]
Truble

It's mine! You- can't have it!

Barked: Sun Oct 14, '07 5:04pm PST 
On Truble, we usually have to give her bath after bath to get all the loose hair out. But it always comes back, so we use human conditionor and shampoo, and it works great.dog
[notify]
Ronin

The Gentle Giant

Barked: Sat May 9, '09 8:18am PST 
my parents use a "slicka" brush for daily tangles and mats. A rake brush works good for getting my undercoat out! Happy shedding!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2