GO!

An old dog's decline.

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

Roxy

Let's go!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 10:09am PST 
This week my dog Roxy was "dog of the day". I got a lot of congrats and pal requests. It was a bittersweet moment, because Roxy is now nine years old, and she is beginning the slow slide into "old dog" status that is so hard for me. She is a German Shepherd, and the famously troublesome hips of her breed are starting to be a problem. There are days it is hard for her to stand or go up or down stairs. Once on her feet she is sometimes wobbly, tho she still loves to run as much as ever. I know that in spite of glucosamine, steroids, anti-inflammatories, soft beds and heating pads, within a year this beautiful dog will not be able to stand and walk without pain. And then I will have to be a responsible and loving owner, and make sure her life is ended with dignity and kindness. I am struggling to enjoy every day with her instead of dreading the inevitable parting.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 12:13pm PST 
hughug

I know how you feel. I recently adopted a (7) year old hound dog from a kill shelter only to be told she was closer to 10. I knew we wouldnt have a lot of time together but still to take away a possible 3 more years with her. I've been lucky that glucosamine and a good diet are helping put a spring back in her step. But I know what you mean. That inevidable goodbye that looms there.

I try not to think about it too much. I recently posted about what to do with my other dog when the time comes and the support I received put me at a lot of ease.

I just try to take everyday at a time. I take lots of pictures and videos and share her with people just as much as i do my 3-5 year old beagle Jake. Just try to have lots of good times and take a lot of pictures.

That's the advise a friend of mine who lost his 3 year old chocolate lab to bone cancer said. Take loads of pictures and enjoy every moment.

Shoot Max was told he only have 2 months left to live but his owner pushed and let him "live" and he made it to his third birthday and halfway to the fourth one before it was time.

Don't let the decline get you. Just enjoy everyday.

wisheswisheshughughug
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 3:41pm PST 
hughughug
[notify]

Lucky- (R.I.P)

We were lucky- with you, baby- girl.

Barked: Sun Mar 24, '13 6:37pm PST 
hughug

It's always hard to watch such a good old friend lose their strength. In particular for me it was incredibly hard since it was childhood shepherd and most of my childhood memories of her had labeled her "invincible" in my mind. I had always felt safe. In my childhood memories she was stronger than any bear, faster than any racing thoroughbred, and more agile than any little critter. Watching her go from that image to the older dog who began to decline... was very hard.

I hope with some luck and with your TLC you'll have more than a year to continue to love and celebrate your old friend. hug
[notify]
Natcho

LabraDORK

Barked: Mon Mar 25, '13 3:49pm PST 
Natcho is turning nine this year, she has a few lumps and bumps, and sore hips if she 'out does it' but other than that she seems to be okay.
Yet I know, within a few years this will all change, and even now I find myself crying before bed knowing that one day the day will come when she isn't around anymore.
I've had Natcho since I was 8, I don't know life without her. frown I don't think I'll be okay after she passes. I worry too much about it.shrug
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 9:20am PST 
Dont look to far foward. Enjoy the moments you have with her. When you sit and pet her live for that moment! She's had a wonderful life and will continue to have a wonderful life until she lets you know it's time to stop her pain forever. Until then, enjoy right now! way to gocloud 9
[notify]