GO!

Naming a new dog in honor of older one

Whether a dog dies, is lost or stolen, or must be placed in a new home, this is the place to gather together to give and receive love and support when you experience the loss of a beloved dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bingo-In- Memory

Appreciate the- small things

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 9:41am PST 
This may be an odd think to post on here but I am anyway. My hsuband and I have two older dogs who are thank goodness still with, Tubby and Norbert, they are incredibly special to us as they set us on the path to a life devoted to dogs. When they pass on we have always planned to name our next dogs in their honor. This is not to replace them, I have lots pets before and no they are irreplacable. Its more in honor of them, I like the idea of speaking their names daily as a way to keep their memory even more alive. I also know the new dog will be an individual and very different so I am not going to be trying to put a new dog into the role of an old dog. I also love those names and want to use them again, Ive actually completely decided to do it.

My surprise was I read online from some people who where absolutely vicious about dog lovers who did such a thing, they said it made dogs seem disposable. My dogs are my family members and the absolute most important thing in my life, certainly not disposable. Another response was it was like naming children the same names, I feel like its more like naming a new baby in honor of a beloved late friend or relative, which is a common practice (I am named after my grandmother who passed away before I was born.) The other odd think I read was it would be too much of a reminder, but wont you be reminded of your pet who has passed on all the time anyway, at least that is how I feel. I was really surprised people saw this as a cool practice, as I see it as a personal choice, and Im interested to hear what others think.
[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:39am PST 
I wouldn't, but to each his own. You can't compare it to a person being named after a relative. People do that all the time, especially boys being named after their father, but if you should loose a child of your own, you wouldn't give your next child you have the same name. It's just my opinion.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:58am PST 
I have incorporated part of the name from a departed pet into the name of a new pet.

My first Lab was named Dixie...When she died after a while I got a Cocker Spaniel. I was watching the documentary on the Civil War at the time, so used the name Bonnie Blue Flag for the puppies registered name. She wouldn't answer to "Blue" so we started calling her Cotton. (because she WOULD answer to "here, Kitty, Kitty.)

Years later a new lab came along...and she got named after a Southern City...Savannah. Her middle name is Blue (for the Blue in Bonnie Blue) and I stuck the Belle on there, because that is what my Dad used to call Dixie.

You can probably work it out to something that you like that also gives some tribute to your former dog.

I did know someone who had a whole series of dogs...all named Sophie. I don't think I would do that, but I do like to have some connection. Now, my dogs all have place names...so I will probably use that naming theme for a long time.
[notify]

Bingo-In- Memory

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:17pm PST 
You know my great grandmother lost a child and named her next to child after him. I guess I thought that was nice too, a loving reminder. Its not as if a person can ever be replaced but I still feel that the names remain a sort of connection and reminder of how we are all connected. I also see my dogs more as relatives and partners then babies, though I often call them my babies. I dont want any human babies so in reality Im very glad the dogs are not babies. I probably would not do what my grandmother did, because some people might be rude to the child because of it, but I guess a dog would not mind
[notify]
Squ'mey

too old to eat- any more KD

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:43pm PST 
Personally...I would not do it..for all the reasons you posted. But to each their own. Like Savvy, I had a theme going for years. All my pets were named for Frank Zappa references. My last dog, Ryko, was the last dog in the theme. But I had fish: Frank, Dweezil, Moon-unit, & Ahmetlaugh out loud
I say, if you are doing it to honour a beloved pet, then go for it. Maybe as a second name? "John-Bingo"..which could become a call name of JayBee.
Interesting topic. I had never even thought of it before, so thanks for making me thinksmile
[notify]
Capone

Noms for the- pug...

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 1:48pm PST 
I knew a couple once who had a series of 5 dogs, all the same breed, all with the same name. I admit I found that odd and a bit creepy. And it was clear from their comments that they expected their current dog to be just like their previous dog and were very disappointed every time he acted differently than they expected. You don’t sound like you’re doing that at all though, so I say do whatever makes you happy.

Personally, I could never do it. But then again I’m overly emotional and can’t even get another dog that looks like my previous dogs so I know I’m on the other end of that extreme. It’s not that I won’t or don’t want to remember my previous dogs, but for years after losing a dog I will remember him with a heavy heart and great sadness. It takes me a long time to get over things so I know it wouldn’t be fair to a new dog if every time I looked at him I thought of my prior dog and got sad. But everybody treats loss differently so if you’re not like that, good for you. smile
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 2:43pm PST 
My very first Champion I bred was Charlie. Years and years later I named one of his great-great grandchildren Chaz.
[notify]
Bingo-In- Memory

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 3:13pm PST 
Well with one dog it will be the same breed as the older one as I am a pug owner. By no means am I not overly emotional Im so obsessed with my dogs that the thought of losing them does destroy me, but I feel like I have to do something in tribute. I know a lot of people get ashes ans find that a comfort but I could not do that when Bingo passed or when my dog Zira passed, I jsut couldnt bare to bring them home in a box, even now it brings tears to my eyes, 2 years on. IT wasnt Bingo whose name I was going to use, though it is dogs I still have. I adopted Bingo older and never choose the name, honestly I might have picked something different. I did however name my one year old puppy Weasley Bingo, in Bingo's honor. Thanks for your comments
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:23pm PST 
I was originally not fond of it for me personally, but I found a couple of names I would like to use again. When it comes to the time I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it. We'll see. One of my friends had GSDs all named Zsa-Zsa. Like you said they weren't trying to replace the dog that passed, and they didn't expect the next one to be a spitting image of the other one either. I've known 3 Zsa-Zsas and they all had such different personalities. It never crossed my mind that it was weird that they reused the name.

Yes, some people will think it's weird, but at the same time they are your dogs and you have the right to name them what you want.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:29pm PST 
I think it's a bit odd if the dogs aren't related to each other. I mean when you ahve a David Jr, David III and David Sr. They're usually all related. I've met owners who's named their dogs like that or will name a puppy after a grandparent of the puppy.

I wouldn't even consider naming another dog Jake no matter how "jake like" he was becasue I'm the type of person who would expect the new jake to be like the old one. I'd probably be severly disappointed if they did not. Just because i'd expect it from there names being the same. That's also why i'll probaby never own another male beagle in tricolor again either. Just too much expectation theory for me.

But as i am not you and your dogs are not jake. You can do as you like. Who cares what people think? I have a friend who naemd her dog with 5 first names. And then she calls him something different. is it strange? yes since he's a mutt and not a show dog. Does she care? No.

So go for it. and do as you please big grin
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2