|Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 7:24pm PST |
|We (my grandmother and I) had to put our sweet little lizzie down to sleep . At the end of February we noticed a lump on her shoulder. Had it biopsied on and it turned out to be a mast cell tumor. For 4 weeks she was getting intravenous chemotherapy. The lump start getting smaller and smaller to the point where we were giving her chemotherapy (in pill form) at home. We did that for another 4 1/2 weeks. we noticed that, that lump disappeared while another lump reappeared on her chest 2 weeks ago.. So we started giving her a different chemotherapy treatment, which was started last week. Yesterday she wouldn't eat at all. I took her to the veterinary referral center because her breathing was getting slower and quieter every minute (she's a pug, so her not snorting is very abnormal). I noticed her gums were becoming very pale. The dr said that she had a lot of inflammation around the tumor and that the tumor was putting histamines into the blood stream causing the inflammation. He gave us 2 options. First one was considering on letting her go and second option was that he could give her IV fluids, steroids and benedryl intravenously. We chose to go ahead and let her go since we did everything we possibly could to keep her comfortable and try to help her become a cancer survivor. If she wasn't eating yesterday then the road to recovery didn't look very good. We decided to go ahead and send her to the rainbow bridge where she can be with her brother pugsy (who we lost 5 months ago).
Its so sad that we lost 2 pugs in the past 5 months. We didn't know pugsy had a tumor until the night he died . We miss our little feisty girl. We are down to one stubborn bi-polar pug and our frisky little dachshund.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|