GO!

Would you do this?? (About the croc attack on 60 mins)

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 5:43pm PST 
I was watching 60 mins in a hotel room last night (it was a bit late to do the 70 km drive home so we stayed in town.) I don't often watch telly but there wasn't anything else to do so I found myself watching 60 mins. (Maybe some other Aussie Dogsters saw this?)

Anyway, it was about a man who got attacked by a huge crocodile in the Northern Territory, which snapped both his legs. He was talking about the attack and then this image of a staffy came up and the guy said "I picked up my dog and threw him over my shoulder to encourage the croc to let me go and tear into him instead."

"And you do love your dog, don't you?" Asks the interviewer.

"Not that bloody much."

It didn't work for the record . . . the dog just got up and ran; didn't look for help, either, but I guess you'd be miffed too if your owner just tried to use you like a canine sacrifice! I guess you can't say whether you would do something like that REALLY unless it was absolutely happening to you . . . but I don't know if I could actually so something like that! Thoughts? Would you try to kill your dog to save your own life (in theory at least!)

P.S - He apologized to his dog. shock
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 7:57pm PST 
It's easy to say "gasp! I'd never do such a thing!" but then again when's the last time we had our legs snapped by a crocodile. At our most basic core we have an instinct to survive (just like our dogs, and the croc)... I don't know if that would be my first line of defense... but I can also see the primal urge to survive and grasping at any possible idea in a state of fear and panic. I live in the suburbs of Buffalo NY so I can't forsee myself in such a situation anytime soon, but it's interesting to think about. I love my dogs, but I also have a young daughter that I have a duty to raise. This is all coming off sounding pretty cold, but I guess I'm just saying I can see it from both angles.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 8:34pm PST 
I'd sacrifice the dog, I'd hate it but, I have been in a survival situation and know full well I will do what it takes to survive.

None of us want to sacrifice our pets or eat human flesh but, in a survival situation, I think most of us would before we let ourselves die.
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 9:30pm PST 
Absolutely, Halo. As much as I just hate the idea . . . well, if I was the one on the other end of that croc . . .

Then again, I don't even know if I'd think of flinging the dog in that panic. I'd probably just flail. He was SO lucky . . . a mate heard him screaming and dragged him out of its MOUTH. Brrrr, I won't be leaping in a river any time soon.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 2:10pm PST 
Not saying I totally wouldn't do it, because I just don't know, but I honestly don't think it'd actually occur to me. Not to mention the fact that I couldn't lift Tanuk up in that situation and Glacier would probably have high tailed it by then.
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Wed Apr 27, '11 4:00pm PST 
I think I'm with Tanuk here. It just wouldn't occur to me. Granted, I don't live in an area where we get such animals or reptiles... so I'm not completely sure. But I don't think my first thought for survival would be "sacrifice my dog". Honestly, I think my instinct to protect both me and the dog would kick in. Granted, if I had children waiting for me at home, I might have a different opinion. But I don't. So, instead of sacrificing my dog, I would probably try to find different ways to distract the croc.

ETA; Instinct to survive can make you do scary things... but instinct to protect those you love can make you do stupid things like risk yourself. So, whichever instinct kicks in first... would be the one that would dictate whether or not I'd do something like this, I suppose.

Edited by author Wed Apr 27, '11 4:04pm PST

[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sun May 8, '11 3:28am PST 
I have an insane protection instinct, it's much stronger than my survival one. I do some pretty nutty stuff with no regards to my personal safety when it comes to protecting what's "mine".
However, I'm unsure what I would do in that situation. While I like to say I'd toss my dog the OTHER way, I just don't know and can't say I wouldn't toss them at the croc. I haven't been in a true survival situation before, pretty close to it, but never with a dog.

I have though, gone into the middle of a crazy dog fight with two dogs against mine and broke it up with my bare hands. Dumb yes, but I didn't give a hoot about myself at the time, I just wanted my dog to not get mauled. I wear steel-toed boots 95% of the time now.
[notify]
Sheeba

Always remember- the 7th of Feb- 2009 â

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 8:17am PST 
Hmmm I didn't see the episode but luckily I don't live in an area populated by crocodiles. How ever we do have lots of snakes. I know I wouldn't be able to "throw" Sheeba to become croc food, in my opinion doing so would backfire anyway as the blood from the dog in the water/owner there'd be more crocs around so it'd turn into a feeding frenzy. Sheeba got attacked while I was walking her and I pushed the other dog off with my leg. I'd probably be screaming to Sheeba to "help" or "get it" but wouldn't sacrifice her.
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Fri May 13, '11 12:40pm PST 
I love love LOVE the atmosphere of Key West. I'd live there. But for ONE thing: I also love small pets, and there are freakin ALLIGATORS in the Keys.

I love alligators. From a distance. Close up? I'd wet myself, NGL. I don't want one coming after my pets, my niece/nephews, or me! It wouldn't take a very big gator to decide to make a snack out of a Papillon, a Chi, a kitty... Then I'd wrestle a gator and get a nasty bite if I didn't just straight up get my fool self killed, my pet would probs die anyway, I'd be cited for screwing around with a protected species and they'd euth the 'gator for being a public nuisance! cry BAD NEWS BEARS Y'ALL, JUST NOT GONNA RISK IT.

Edited by author Fri May 13, '11 12:40pm PST

Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Sun May 15, '11 7:03am PST 
i find a lot of candid responses here. it's interesting to think about. But I honestly can't say I would respond that way.or not. i feel very protective of my dog, and although cannot say unless in that situation, yes or no, I feel i probably would not. I know my dog wouldn't protect me. So throwing him to the crocs would serve no purpose. The guy that did this wasn't particularly close to his dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2