GO!

Add wolf dog as a "breed"

Are you a fan of Dogster? Share what you love best about the most pawsome dog site ever! We woof you right back!

If you would like to request a new feature or enhancement for the site, please contact Dogster Support by way of the Contact links located at the bottom of each page on Dogster.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
** Kiyoshi- LC wolf dog- -CGC-

Christmas Pups- are the only- pups

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 7:33am PST 
isthere a way to get dogster to ad wolfdogs or wolf hybrid as a "breed"? even though they arent a breed per say but there still be be the option and then have a wolfdog forum on here
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 8:13am PST 
I don't think HQ will add a type of dog that isn't a breed, but you can always ask them.

Have you considered starting a wolfdog group? That might help you guys find each other without starting a whole forum for such a small percentage of Dogsters.
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 10:53am PST 
Wolfdogs are not recognized as a breed. I own them as well but, the closest we may ever see here is Tamaskan, which is NOT any wolf at all, just loks like one but is all dog.
[notify]

Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 12:07pm PST 
It's not a breed, so probably not. If they did then they'd have to start adding Goldendoodles, Cockapoos, Boxadors and the sort. The list would become endless and confusing. Closest you can get is to use the "part feral" check box. Plus I think having that as a "breed" option would just get out of control...there are a LOT of people out there who think they have "wolf hybrids" or just think it's cool to say their dog is part wolf without any solid proof and really do not at all. The breed listing for it would just be inaccurate at best.

Edited by author Sun Mar 13, '11 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Mar 13, '11 2:51pm PST 
I'm pretty sure the list is just limited to AKC recognized breeds.

Wolfdogs don't resemble a breed in any way, shape, or form. There's a billion-and-a-half ways to get one and consequently a billion-and-a-half behaviors that can be ascribed to them. In short, you aren't breeding A1 to A2 and getting a litter of puppies that look and act like A, and able to do the same thing with that litter of A.

And, as Kolbe said, there's countless people who have been duped into believing they have a wolf hybrid when their dog is, at most, just a mixture of northern breeds...sometimes all they are is a German Shepherd or other similar looking dogs. It would just be woefully inaccurate.

Edited by author Sun Mar 13, '11 2:57pm PST

[notify]
Selene

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 3:31am PST 
If your wanting a wolfdog forum Kiyoshi, here's one
http://wolfdogforum.com/forum/
[notify]
Neeko

I listen...when- I want to

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 11:18am PST 
I have posted on wolfdogforum.com, asking opinions as to whether Neeko might be a wolfdog. Everyone there was very gracious (except one) to ME. I would not recommend that forum to anyone except high content owners who are already very well prepared. Reading through others posts on that forum, I noticed that a few of the regular posters have a very elitist attitude. They are quick to jump on newcomers and call them out, or question them. There are a few posters that don't even own wolfdogs who will judge people, attempt to give a phenotype based content suggestion, or tell them they are wrong.

I am not referring Loki and Selene's owner by any means. That individual always has something nice or helpful to say.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 11:59am PST 
Um - I guess I am with the faction that feels a lot of dogs who are called "wolf" are not really...or have a very low percentage. Not all, just most...

Edited by moderator Thu Mar 31, '11 10:32am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 12:08pm PST 
Neeko, for what is's worth, you look very wolfy to me.

I don't think we should be promoting wolf hybreds. Not everyone can care for them. I understand that sometimes it is a real challenge, especially with high content.
Good Luck.
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Mon Mar 14, '11 12:22pm PST 
I would be happy if Dogster simply stopped calling wolf dogs "Part Feral" because that's totally incorrect. "Feral" is a domestic animal that has reverted to being wild, like mustangs and feral cats. They're descended from domestics that escaped. Wolves are NOT feral, they are wild animals, and have never been domesticated. Feral and Wild are NOT the same. I don't know why it can't simply say "part wolf" because when you're setting up a profile, it asks if your dog is part wolf or coyote, but if you check it, it does the stupid "part feral" thing.

BTW, Neeko, what did they tell you at wolfdogforums? Do they think Neeko is a wolf-dog, or just a nordic breed/GSD mix?

And Halo, Tamaskans ARE wolfdogs- there has been a long campaign by the breed founders to suppress that, but DID use real (high content!) wolves and then falsified pedigrees to cover it. The whole "breed" is a mix of wolfdogs, Siberian Huskies, mixed breed racing sled dogs, and Czech Vclak (wolfdog). Their motto "Wolfdog without the wolf" is a patent lie. Read this for more info:
The No-Wolf Tamaskan Fable
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4