GO!

Skin solutions- Help required!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Tue Oct 23, '12 12:13pm PST 
Hi

I would really appreciate some advice. My vet diagnosed my gorgeous Westie (3, male) with an allergy to dust mites. She said it is safe to give him 2 piriton a day, and this is combined with bathing with Malaseb shampoo.

Dougal is licking his paws almost raw even with the methods below. We steam clean regularily, walks etc, dry his feet off after his walks, but it seems to be really bad right now, and I don't know what to do,

He is using James Wellbeloved food too which the vet recommended also. He is also prone to vomiting if he eats too quickly.

I really would value safe, tried and tested methods for him, it is distressing us and him I think. Otherwise, he is a really happy dog. I will give the olive oil in food too.

It is Autumn here in Scotland, and cold outside, so central heating is on too when required

Thank you so much in advance
[notify]
Milo ☯

If it is edible,- then it's mine!

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 11:54am PST 
Wow our dogs are almost exactly the same! Our dog is a westie puppy and is also on James Wellbeloved and has skin problems. Our vet recommended piriton too, with also an injection. She did mention steroids, but as our dog is too young and we don't think this case is too serious, the vet said she wouldn't recommend it.

I hear boiled rice in meals is good for dogs, with fish (omega 3).
Also our vet said that baby shampoo from Johnsons is great for westies with skin problems as it is very mild.
[notify]