GO!

Need DNA samples from Tibetan Spaniels for genome mapping project. Please do this.

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Missie

Teeth kisses for- everyone!

Barked: Fri May 11, '07 6:00pm PST 
Over the last few years there has been a genome project underway to help map the genomes for breeds, partially for DNA identification purposes. At the same time the scientists involved are linking breeds with each other through their genetics, and coming up with evidence about how ancient they are, and breed origins.

The Tibetan Spaniel has yet to be included. So far it is because Tibetan Spaniel clubs have not shown an interest. I emailed the Samples Manager, Dana Mosher, and this was here reply.

“I received your inquiry regarding the inclusion of Tibetan spaniels in our studies. We are in the process of updating our website, but we are looking for samples from Tibetan Spaniels for our research on breed relationships and morphology. If you would like to donate a sample from your dog please let me know and I will send you one of our sampling kits. The kit contains a one page consent form, a pair of vials for collecting 5-10 cc of blood at your veterinarian’s office, instructions for handling the blood, and a tape measure and instructions for taking approximately 20 measurements of the dog’s limbs, body, and head. All of the information we collect is kept confidential and individual dogs will never be identified. Our collection kit comes in a small cardboard mailer tube that protects the blood vials. We include a label with our return address so that the forms and blood can be sent back to us conveniently. Blood can be mailed at room temperature without cold packs.

Thank you in advance for your time and effort. Our work would not be possible without the participation of responsive owners like you. Please email me with any questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Dana Mosher

Dana Mosher
Samples Manager/Ostrander Lab
CGB/NHGRI/NIH
50 South Drive
Bldg 50 Room 5347
Bethesda, MD 20892-8000
Phone: 301-451-9390
Fax: 301-594-0023
Contractor”

So, now I am hoping Tibetan Spaniel owners that I know are active on Dogster will contact Dana Mosher, and be kind enough to go through the trouble getting their vet to help donate a DNA blood sample from their dog.

Her email address is mosherd@mail.nih.gov

Here are some links which highlight some of the applications for this DNA mapping and research.

http://research.nhgri.nih.gov/dog_genome

http://research.nhgri.nih.gov/dog_genome/info_for_dog_owners

Thanks to all who want to contribute.
[notify]