GO!

agility and luxating patella

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Snickers

Barked: Fri Feb 14, '14 10:44am PST 
Looking for people with history of the two that could share their experience. If agility would caused greater harm is my main concern.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 7:24am PST 
I don't see how it couldn't. If the dog has a joint issue why would you ask it do a sport with hard running, tight turns, weaving and jumping? All things that put stress on the joints?

I was training Jewel in agility when I was told that the way she was put together things like the A frame would put stress on her shoulder joints and could cause problems. She has since then developed luxating patellas as well.

When I set up the equipment in the yard in the summer I still let her play around and run little courses at a slow speed just low jumps and tunnels which are what she liked anyways. But I won't risk her health by asking her for any speed or height.
[notify]
Snickers

Barked: Wed Feb 19, '14 9:09am PST 
I had read conflicting information. Thankfully though xrays didn't show any sign of a luxating patella and vet couldn't feel it. Vet believes its an inflamed growth joint instead.
Sorry to hear about ur pup.
[notify]

Snickers

Barked: Thu Feb 20, '14 1:45pm PST 
I had read conflicting information. Thankfully though xrays didn't show any sign of a luxating patella and vet couldn't feel it. Vet believes its an inflamed growth joint instead.
Sorry to hear about ur pup.
[notify]