GO!

A good first step (agility and rally)

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 3:41pm PST 
Theo got his CGC a week ago now and we're trying to decide what to work on next. I just want to try everything with him! We know for sure we're going to do therapy work when his puppy energy subsides a little, but in the mean time, I think I'm going to take an intro to rally and competitive obedience class at my training facility and then an agility prep class afterwards.

I know he'd make a great rally dog, but I was unsure if he'd like agility until yesterday when my my training class got to go on an agility prep course, and he did great! He LOVED being on the balance beam, and trotted through the ladder like it was nothing. He was unsure of the tunnel and wobble board at first, but started to get the hang of the tunnel and got lots of cookies on the wobble board. Just bragging a little. :]

This is my first topic in this subforum, so I might as well ask if anyone has any big suggestions for us newcomers. I can't wait to be able to brag about Theo's progress (and mine) when we get in the actual classes. :]
[notify]
MACH4 PACH2- Aslan

RAE TQX MXF MXB2- MJS2 MXBP MXJP,- etc.

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 12:32pm PST 
My advice is just keep training, going to classes and learning. There's so much to learning a new sport like agility, but the journey is a ton of fun. My second advice is that if you are looking to do agility, make sure your training avoids any punishment. We can't force dogs to run fast with punishment, so they have to think agility is a big game. It sounds like you're already doing that, though. smile

Have fun, as that's what it's all about.
[notify]
Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 1:39pm PST 
Keep having fun! BTW, we just started our therapy dog training (at almost 6 y.o.). I put this off forever because... I wasn't sure if Charks would find it fun. I finally decided to do it and let her tell me is it's not enjoyable. Charka is extremely good (and dependable) with people of all ages/capabilities who poke and prod her in various expected and unexpected ways.

Anyway, whether agility or therapy dog or dock jumping or pulling the wagon... obedience is an important element (OK, maybe not so important for dock jumping). Certainly if you do therapy, obedience is REALLY a important.

Whether we ever get our act together to compete in agility... it's a fun experience. The communication and trust you work with there... doggie Zen wink We run fast; we run fun; now if I can just get that 'run clean' down laugh out loud Enjoyable sport for me and for the Charkleberry.

BTW... did I mention, have fun (both you AND dog) way to go

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 1:42pm PST

[notify]

Miyu CGC

Bow down to the- Princess Brat!

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:12pm PST 
Not to sound like a broken record, but... have fun!! laugh out loud I've got a great instructor right now, and she's big on letting the dog enjoy it, making sure they look forward to it. She often states that in the first year or more of training, she doesn't care if her own dogs miss every single jump there is. Just encourage and keep going, you never want to let that enthusiasm level go down!

It's also a sport that focuses as much on the handler as the dog. If anything, I feel often times like I'm the one slowing her down. That's something you'll likely encounter the further along you go in training.

Also, like Czarka said... OB helps a LOT. Miyu's got her CGC too, but there are times when I look at the other dogs and think that we need to work on some more advanced OB, like off leash heeling and distance downs and stuff! It can't ever hurt, to have a dog who's more well versed in that stuff, as you'll have to be able to control them when off leash on your runs as well. Though really, it's not the runs themselves, it's the befores and afters. Zoomies, anyone? laugh out loud
[notify]