GO!

Scent Hurdling

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:37pm PST 
Anyone do it? I hear it's getting big in Canada. My trainer is going to try Sarah out on it.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Mon Mar 12, '12 8:14pm PST 
I have not heard of Scent Hurdling. We have K9 Nose Work here, I wonder if its similar?
[notify]
Lenny

Lenny -The- Wrecking Ball

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 9:05am PST 
I have heard of scent hurdles before, but have only a very basic understanding of the sport... and I don't know of anyone who does it around where I live on the east coast. shrug

Wyatt, Lenny and I participate in K9 Nosework! Absolutely the best thing I have ever discovered.
[notify]

Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 9:27am PST 
Wyatt says K9 nosework is great funsmile
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 11:08am PST 
I think Scent Hurdling is awesome. It seems to me that having to stop and think for a second after jumping all those hurdles and before coming back can keep dogs from becoming overstimulated and loosing control.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 12:30pm PST 
I'm pretty sure that Dogster Maggie/Bosley scent hurdles. Might be worth PM'ing her. smile
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 7:52pm PST 
Thanks Rexy for the tip!
I am excited to try this out- it won't be anything formal, just for fun. My understanding is that scent hurdling is a combination of nosework and flyball. The dogs are on a relay team. They have to jump a set of hurdles and then retrieve the dumbbell marked with their owner's scent. There are a few videos of it that I found on youtube.

Asher, my trainer also said she feels it is much safer than flyball because the dogs have to take that time at the end of the run to think and search for their scent. We tried flyball for a few months with Sarah but she was afraid of the box and wasn't ball motivated enough to get over that fear. I think with her mix (parson russell and beagle) scent hurdling might be right up her alley!
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 8:38pm PST 
Hi Sarah,
I have been competing in Scent Hurdle with Bosley for about a year now and he is only 10 points away from his SHDCh title which he hopefully can finish at our next trial in a couple weeks. Maggie is currently in training and will be ready to compete by the summer. Scent Hurdle is a lot of fun but unforunately it isn't very popular in many places. I live in Alberta Canada and the sport is growing like crazy here. Our team is the newest one in the league but there are several others that are training to make their racing debut, including Maggie's team.
The thing I like about Scent Hurdle is that it is a sport that allows dogs to get both a good mental and physical workout. It also allows dogs of all sizes and ages to participate and be active. There are several teams that have senior dogs that are still able to get out and enjoy racing because it is a relatively low impact sport. It is also fun being a part of a team and cheering each other on.
I don't know why the sport isn't more popular, but maybe now with all the recent interest in Nosework, the sport will start to gain some popularity again.
[notify]
Bosley

Will Work For- Food

Barked: Tue Mar 13, '12 8:52pm PST 
Here is a link to a recent race that our team was at. It is long so you don't need to watch it all, but it will give you an idea of what a race is like:
Scent Hurdle Race

Here is a blooper reel clip from our very first race ever. We kinda sucked - haha - but it was fun and we did get better thankfully.
Bloopers
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 10:53am PST 
I love the bloopers!! laugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2