GO!

Agility classes in the Bay Area?

Running, catching, leaping; this is the forum to discuss dog sports and agility training with other active pups!

Mingo, CGC

Where's the- ball?

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 10:47pm PST 
I loved taking the beginner agility class with Mingo, and he seemed to have a knack for it--I'd like us to continue onto more advanced classes! Our first class was with MetroDog in Richmond--however, Elissa, the trainer for that class, only does the intro level at that site.

Sooo...I'm looking for recommendations for other places in the Bay Area that have agility classes. The only one I know of is ARF in Walnut Creek, but they don't have any classes that currently work with our schedule.

Also, we have a couple of restrictions: 1) I don't have a car, so while I'm willing to travel a distance, it has to be some place that I can get to via bus/BART, and 2) Mingo's recall is not solid, so I'd want the site to be either indoors or completely fenced.

Thanks!!
[notify]
Ollivander

Super Silver- Service Spoodle

Barked: Tue Nov 3, '09 11:08pm PST 
We take agility from Nancy Frensley, she offers classes through the Albany Parks and Recreation department. Nancy is an EXCELLENT trainer, (Elissa is very good as well! She taught our CGC class). Nancy offers a beginner and intermediate level agility class. The intermediate level class is really multi-leveled with some people just above beginner level, and others at competition level. The intermediate level classes are small so it is easy to tailor things for different level dogs in the same class (same with how Nancy teaches Rally- though rally is through Berkeley East Bay Humane Society). The classes are held at Memorial park, which is not too far off of San Pablo. If you take the 72 bus, it would probably be a 5-10 minute walk from a bus stop. If you take BART, you'd get off at El Cerrito Plaza and it'd be probably about a 15 minute walk or so down the Ohlone Greenway. Classes are on Saturdays.

The classes are held in Memorial Park, which is unfenced. I was a little scared of this at first, but it actually works out OK. You can keep your dog on leash or long line as needed if you are worried. But there is very little traffic on the street, and people are going slowly in that area because of all the kids at playgrounds etc. I've taken so many agility classes with Sabrina that I can't even count, and the worst that's happened is a dog running onto the tennis courts to grab balls. And I am the first to admit that Sabrina's recall with distractions is not the greatest, but after a couple of times there, they seem to get that all the fun stuff happens on the field and they don't try to go elsewhere.

The only problem is that in the winter the field can get a little muddy, so usually instead of agility Nancy teaches tracking in the winter at the same place.

I'm not sure when we'll start agility with Ollie. We're doing intermediate II obedience now, and working on the service dog class with Nancy. I think when the intermediate II obedience is done I may do rally again, or I might try tracking over the winter since one of the service tasks I want to teach Ollie is to find hubby for me when we split up in a store. I'll probably start agility in the springtime with him.

ETA: here is the link to the Activities guide. Click on adult activities. Turns out there is a class starting up this Saturday.

Edited by author Tue Nov 3, '09 11:13pm PST

[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Wed Nov 4, '09 10:31am PST 
Hey Mingo, check out the Bay Team.

Sounds like it might be a bit far for you, but there are a couple of instructors that I would highly recommend in Sonoma Co. Feel free to PM me if you’d like email addresses/phone numbers. smile
[notify]