GO!

HELP! Need tips for leaving my sweet old Yorkie home alone. :(

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 6:18pm PST 
My Yorkie mix, Kiernan, was a mess when I got him two years ago - a deformed paw, dental disease/extracted teeth, hip dysplasia, severely underweight. He's around 10/11 years old and had been rescued from a puppy mill ($&@? those monsters). He's doing great now, but understandably still has a nervous temperament, often has depressed periods, and hates to be left alone. Unfortunately, I'm going to be starting a new schedule shortly where I'll be gone most days of the work week for the full day, and I'll be too far away to stop in during lunch/a break. Kiernan uses pee pads and will get plenty of exercise in the evenings with me - my issue is keeping him feeling secure and happy during long stretches alone. Those of you who have to leave your buddies all day, do you have any tips or tricks for helping them through it?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 7:09pm PST 
It might sound weird but leave the tv on.
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 7:19pm PST 
Keep music on or the radio. My Grandma will leave country on for her dogs. I also heard that soothing piano melodies will help calm dogs. They even have cd's that you can buy as well.

leaving something for him to do, like a kong, when you leave may take his mind off of you leaving. Also keep the good byes to a minimum, you could stress him out more if you are stretching out the good byes, because then he will realize thats what you do when you leave and get stressed before you even leave the house.

Good Luck puppy
[notify]

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 7:42pm PST 
Those are great suggestions, using tv or music - thanks, guys! I should mention that Kiernan's teeth are weak so he can't pick up much in his mouth, and a Kong or other hard toy would unfortunately be impossible. :/
[notify]
Hazel

Spoiled Little- Girl

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 10:58am PST 
Oh, dogs dont have to use their teeth on kongs. You just fill it up with something yummy like peanut butter or wet dogs food. You could even make up your own mixture.

You just set it on the floor for them and they will lick out the filling. Hazel never chews on hers. She just lays down next to it and licks it out.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Sun Jul 28, '13 2:44pm PST 
If you have the time, ease him into the new schedule, so he transitions easier to you being gone for longer periods of time. And if it can be afforded or done, can you hire someone like a friend, family member, or even a dog walker with great references that can check in on him for some cuddle time and maybe a walk while you're gone? Someone that he could learn he can trust too, that is. I also second the Kong - if it's something soft, he'll still be able to lick it out, just get him a small enough sized Kong. I find TV or music helps a lot with my dogs too. smile
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 9:29am PST 
If you don't crate I would suggest an x-pet or babygating in a room. Some dogs can't handle having run of the house when home alone, they don't understand what's expected of them.

My childhood dog we tried to transition her from crate to being free in the house but it never worked out, she'd lose it. Clawed walls, windows and doors sure we were just on the other side and she needed to get to us.

I give my almost 6 month old puppy a kong everytime I put her in the crate when I go to work. Peanut butter, cheese whiz or canned dog food with some treats, sometimes I freeze them so she has to lick longer.

The day I had someone over doing some work on the outside of the house I left the radio on for her so she wouldn't hear him as much.

I also have never said good bye, it's just "Who wants a kong? Crate up! Good girl!" and I leave. When I come home I don't make a big deal of it either just walk over, open the crate "Let's go outside!". I act like it's nothing so it is nothing to her. Okay she jumps on my legs on the way to the door but I ignore her in the hopes she gets over that.

Edited by author Mon Jul 29, '13 9:31am PST

[notify]
Anchortown- Dogs

Barked: Mon Jul 29, '13 10:46pm PST 
Could you hire a dog walker to come by for a 20-minute visit? I visit two seniors. We play games or a puzzle toy, relax in the sunshine, or go for a short walk. They get a stuffed Kong at the end of the visit. Great way to break up a long day.
[notify]
Penny Mouse- Fart Ayala

I eat, therefore- I am.....

Barked: Tue Jul 30, '13 4:58pm PST 
doggy day care. Seriously!!!
[notify]