GO!

Rescuing my rescue's belly

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 1:48pm PST 
About two weeks ago we rescued a cockpoo puppy about 9-12 months old. He went from a puppy mill to the shelter to our home within 24 hours. He's had very loose stools that are not resolving. I think the issue was the rapid transition in food coupled with my ignorance about feeding a dog. I mixed three different brands of food bc I was inundated with coupons. I honestly didn't know any better. Now I would like to wean him off of that and stick to one of the brands. One got better ratings than the other two but it was cited for causing belly issues in some dogs. Now I'm really confused. the three types of food are:

Whole Earth Puppy formula
Eukanuba Small Dog Puppy
Target brand Puppy food

Of course all this will probably be thrown off tomorrow when he goes to be neutered.

Any suggestions
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 2:52pm PST 
I would definitely pass on the Target and Eukanuba. I don't know about the other one. Taste of the wild makes a good puppy food at a reasonable price and all of their formulas have added things for digestive health and would likely be better for a sensitive belly. You might want to try some plain boiled chicken breast and rice until his belly is calmer then try slowly adding the new kibble whatever you pick to try to his diet. THANK-YOU for rescuing him and wishes to you both.hughug
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Jun 11, '13 4:29pm PST 
I agree with Mika & Kai. The boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and white rice for a day or two should do the trick. Feed him smaller meals more frequently, like maybe 3 or 4 times a day until his poop is normal. After that, you can slowly wean him onto the dog food you choose. Start with just a few kibbles in the the chicken & rice and add a little more food each time and take away the same amount of chicken & rice until he's eating all dog food. This transition should take about 4-5 days. That way his tummy won't get upset again. Good for you for adopting him and good luck! Please keep us posted on how he does. welcome
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 10:39am PST 
Thanks for the tips. They were echoed by the Vet tech at the clinic where he was supposed to be neutered today, and the his vet. They rescheduled his neuter until his belly is better and they said boiled chicken and rice for three days and if there's no improvement they are going to put him on some meds. His neuter is two week out so hopefully he will be in good shape by then.

I also double checked that is stool sample was parasite free, which it was. the vet tech described his food as a combo of potato chips (Target Brand) and crab cakes (Whole Earth brand) I'm actually thinking about trying the Kirkland Brand adult food as they think he's close to a year and I don't want to have to change his food again in a month. It's returnable and got very high ratings for quality by a site called
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-do g-food/

We'll see. Thanks again for helping me embark (no pun intended) on this adventure. laugh out loud
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 12:31pm PST 
Thanks for the tips. They were echoed by the Vet tech at the clinic where he was supposed to be neutered today, and the his vet. They rescheduled his neuter until his belly is better and they said boiled chicken and rice for three days and if there's no improvement they are going to put him on some meds. His neuter is two week out so hopefully he will be in good shape by then.

I also double checked that is stool sample was parasite free, which it was. the vet tech described his food as a combo of potato chips (Target Brand) and crab cakes (Whole Earth brand) I'm actually thinking about trying the Kirkland Brand adult food as they think he's close to a year and I don't want to have to change his food again in a month. It's returnable and got very high ratings for quality by a site called
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/kirkland-signature-do g-food/

We'll see. Thanks again for helping me embark (no pun intended) on this adventure. laugh out loud
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 1:31pm PST 
welcome and wishes. Thank-you for giving the poor boy a chance at a good life. Generally, Dogsters are very happy to help with anything we can. Would love to see your new addition. Why not upgrade your guest status and let us see the little guy. Take Care and we hope all is soon well for him.hug
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 5:47pm PST 
Yeah. Good point Mika and Kai. We would love to see pictures of him. smile
[notify]