GO!

Interested in breeding my Remy

Small dogs have big personality! This is the place to talk up your favorite small breeds, ask questions, and share tips and stories. Be sure to visit our Small Dog Breeds area for profiles of all your favorite small dog breeds, featured articles, and more!

Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 8:19am PST 
Your first port of call should be with the Griffon Bruxellois club. From there you'd get all the advice and help you need.

He should also be health tested and free of eye diseases and it is recommended they are tested/scanned for Syringomyelia too.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 8:29am PST 
Why do you want to breed him?

Is he a finished champion, or has he titled in some performance event? What are the known potential health problems of Brussels Griffons? Has he been screened for them? Were his parents? And their parents?

You would also need to require the same of the female--and no, "vet checked" is not enough. Every breed hasits specific tests that should be done, and there should be focumentation the you csn show the owner of the female, and that the female's owner can show you.

If you don't own the female, any puppies will belong to the owner of the female, who will also be the breeder of record. You'll only get your pick puppy. Depending on the contract you negotiate, you're not likely to have any say in what happens to those puppies.

If you buy a female to breed, you'll have the sole resposibility for finding safe, responsible homes for any puppies you do not want to keep. You'll also face the risk and burden of all the things that can go wrong with pregnancy and whelping, up to and including the deaths of the female and all the puppies. Or you might lose the female and the puppies survive, and you'll be hand raising your litter.

Many of the things that can go wrong, including the need for a c-section, can get very expensive.

Why do you want to breed Remy?

Edited by author Wed Mar 27, '13 8:30am PST

[notify]
Cohen CD RE- ADC SGDC- FDCh CGN

The Monster

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 10:30am PST 
He was bought online from puppyfind.com. That unto itself is enough reason to not breed him. If you want a puppy, consider going to a responsible breeder.
[notify]

Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 1:13pm PST 
Or go to your local shelter or rescue and give a home to a puppy that might be killed because of too many backyard breeders
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 1:45pm PST 
I have a feeling I am glad I missed the OPsilenced
[notify]
Rigby

Dingbat

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 9:15am PST 
I too missed the original post, however I will second that Puppyfind.com is not a reputable source and none of the pups sold on there are properly bred or should be bred themselves.
[notify]
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 12:10pm PST 
I think I am also glad that I missed the OP
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 12:38pm PST 
i missed the orignal post but based on Addy whom i've seen in the past is very detailed. It must have gone something like. Oh i want a puppy so i'm going to breed my dog to get one. But i could be wrong about that.

Remy if you want another puppy just go to the shelter and get one. or go to your breeds club and ask for a rescue reference. That's how i found about about basset hound rescues. Going through the Southern california chapter of the Basset Hound club.

Don't support puppy mills and don't start one for yourself. It's really not all that great. In teh Adoption form there is someone who responded about breeding there female and the bitch ended up being sterile after all was said and done and she lost all but one puppy.

Don't breed go adopt or call a reputable breeder in your home state or surrounding area. The breed's club can point you in the right direction.
[notify]
Addy, CGC

Let's go for a- walk!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 4:53pm PST 
The OP didn't really say why they want to breed Remy. Just that they want to breed him, and the only other Brussels Griffons in their area are male.

I hope it was for the relatively innocent though misguided purpose of having a puppy of Remy's, and not for making money, but I don't know.
[notify]